impeller lube

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• impeller lube

just received a new sea water pump impeller for my 320-ce-b part #22307636. They no longer give a lube tube with it. What is the best lube to use at installation in the spring.

Originally posted by larson260 View Post
    just received a new sea water pump impeller for my 320-ce-b part #22307636. They no longer give a lube tube with it. What is the best lube to use at installation in the spring.
    Ky works well....
    If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

I second that, k-y works great on alot of mechanical items.

Comment

in addition to the above, glycerin or good ol`dish soap works well.
        Summer Fling-II
        2008 Chaparral Sunesta 264
        Summer Fling
        2003 Chaparral Sunesta 243

Comment

dish soap

Comment

And yes.,.the cashier at walmart will look at you funny when you walk up to the counter with gear lube and ky jelly
            Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
              And yes.,.the cashier at walmart will look at you funny when you walk up to the counter with gear lube and ky jelly
              party size....

Comment

Yes, I always wondered why they would include a package of glycerin with the impeller when it would be cheaper to give you soap or KY or petroleum jelly?

More fake news?
                Good Luck Muc

Comment

not all impeller kits come with the glycerin
                  Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                  1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                  2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                  1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I wouldn't use petroleum jelly on anything rubber that you care about. Depending on the rubber compound of the impeller, it can act as a solvent and degrade the rubber.
                    Rich

1995 Chris Craft 21 Concept (OMC 50FAPHUE)

Comment

Originally posted by Horigan View Post
                      I wouldn't use petroleum jelly on anything rubber that you care about. Depending on the rubber compound of the impeller, it can act as a solvent and degrade the rubber.
                      I agree.
                      But if your going to launch the boat and give it a good long run right after the impeller job, I really don’t think it makes much difference what you use. It’s when the impeller is going to sit for awhile that what you use is important.
                      Good Luck Muc

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                        not all impeller kits come with the glycerin
                        Yes I’ve noticed that to. But if you go straight to the pump manufacturer for the impeller they still come with it.
                        Johnson makes Volvo pumps.

and you can buy a bottle glycerin pretty cheap, especially if you compare it to how well it works and how long it lasts
                        Good Luck Muc

Comment

The same grease you use on the hubs of your trailer.
                          Been using it for 30+

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
                          ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI

Comment

Originally posted by jerryjerry05 View Post
                            The same grease you use on the hubs of your trailer.
                            Been using it for 30+
                            I that is true, then that seems much safer since boats often site long periods between runnings. If the hub and prop were coated with marine grease it would provide boundary lubrication for quite awhile before it all got washed out. But again, I'd be concerned about petroleum degrading the rubber. I know most lake water has chemicals in it anyway but in lower concentrations than smearing it directly on the impeller. Can anyone else say they've used this method...When I replaced my impeller I became irritated with how poorly I could get the glycerin to "stay" well enough to protect upon the first startup. I was squeezing every last mili-ounce out of that little packet.

Comment

Working...
                            X