No announcement yet.

5.7 Volvo Penta GS Intake, Carb, Heads & Cam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd be surprised at how dirty my air filters got on my boat engines...worse than a street vehicle, and my bilge was clean!
    Went right over the edge on this one
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post

Went right over the edge on this one
      I don't drive on dirt roads..truck air filter was changed at 70k or so, but the little restriction gauge had never moved. The boat K&N's had color to them. Mud daubers, boat building dirt, 20+ years of exposure to the atmosphere, and hurricane driven dirt. I've cleaned pine needles out of underneath the gunnels. I was surprised.

Marine engines typically draw air from the bilge, unless they have a dedicated dorade box and sealed engine room. Big diesel sportsfishermen are notorious for restricted air intake.

Comment

Originally posted by aimlow View Post

It's an old wives tale that gas marine and truck engine cams produce and need low end torque..just the opposite. The typical rpm range is higher that a street vehicle, so the cams are actually lumpier...more aggressive. Idle quality is not an issue on marine engines.

you obviously never have seen a hull prop curve and the required torque needed to push a boat out of the hole. or the torque curve of a marine motor

idle quality is extremely important in marine motors, especially with any cam change and wet exhaust.
        Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Big diesel sportsfishermen are notorious for restricted air intake
          Different animal then being discussed in this thread

Let just say we all get to voice our opinions and yours and mine differ, and not just air intakes. Its all good
          07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post

you obviously never have seen a hull prop curve and the required torque needed to push a boat out of the hole. or the torque curve of a marine motor

idle quality is extremely important in marine motors, especially with any cam change and wet exhaust.
            If 'out of the hole" was that important, a marine cam wouldn't be lumpier. I can easily get 2000 rpms even tied to the dock. It's the part throttle 3500 rpm +/- cruise that's important.

In any case, there's a guy on the Mercruiser forum with Vortec coil bind issues. You have more hands on on that particular issue than I.

Comment

If it were me I'd do the 4bbl carb, Edelbrock intake, and 1.6 roller rockers...if the vortec heads will work (if not already vortec in '97), then perhaps I'd also consider them as the flow much better than the old TBI truck heads which is probably what is on that boat? But I'm lazy and cheap...if you have the money and time you can do about anything! But bang for the buck and time, I think a minor top-end upgrade and maybe an Accel coil, brass cap & rotor, HP plug wires, etc. might give u that seat of the pants gain you want.

Did you add the through hull? What brand is it? How much did it cost?

Comment

Thanks for all of the knowledgeable info guys. You all are helping me out more than you know. I have another question. I called Comp Cams today and the guy is wanting to know my compression ratio. I have no idea what it is. Also, I pulled my heads last night. I noticed something I thought was odd. Maybe not. Anyways, the heads have two different casting numbers. Not my Vortec heads, the factory heads. # 14096217 and # 4080217. Is this normal ?

Comment

I do not have the answer but I will be interested to see what it is. I know some of the old TBI & carbed trucks had 76cc heads and 8.5:1 compression. But some of the 350's also had 64cc heads and the corvettes may have had 58 or 60cc...

My point is, we always hear about how marine engines need more horse power and run on super unleaded, etc. yet (sometimes in the same conversation like this thread) we hear how they need to be low-end torque monsters and more like a truck motor. If I had to guess you'd have the 64cc heads which would make it like 9.25:1 (going on memory), but it is possible if the marine stocker truck engine theory is true, then it could be the 8.5:1 motor.

Does your manual say it requires premium fuel?

Now we wait for Scott or one of the others who knows to answer

Comment

Somebody has been messing with the motor and has probably been replaced
                    The 14096217 shows 1955 to 1986
                    Think the 4080217 is a mis-cast number, assume both are the same

14096217...55-86...350..........Crate motor, 285hp/300hp, 64cc chambers, 72' or 90' center intake manifold bolt angles
                    07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

So if they are 64cc heads does that mean it’s the 9.25:1 ratio ? Would there be a for sure way to tell ? Yes it does call for premium.

Comment

Also, as far as someone putting a head on it or something, I don’t think that’s the case. I guess it’s possible, but if they did they repainted the whole motor. It’s still the charcoal and the bolts have never had a wrench on them.

Comment

as AD posted
                          14096217...55-86...350..........Crate motor, 285hp/300hp, 64cc chambers, 72' or 90' center intake manifold bolt angles not sure what you have for a motor. FYI - Volvo used those heads on the AQ271's in the mid 80's and those were rated at 9.4:1 CR and used 87 octane. a set of vortec heads would be an improvement and wouldnt affect CR
                          Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                          1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                          2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                          1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Finally got a little more info on my motor. The casting is #10243880....5.7LG SGI....apparently this is a roller block. I still don’t know the compression ratio. I’m hoping some of you guys might have more info for me with these numbers. Thanks !

Comment

That one is

10243880...350...95-00...2 or 4...Vortec truck, Gen.I crate motors and "ZZ4", roller cam, one piece rear seal

I think you're trying to find the CR for the wrong reason, you have a stock motor, this on should be 8.3

Comp Cam (not my first choice) needs to know the CR to determine which cam they would suggest based on what your building. If your going to rebuild the motor, then need to decide if your boring, changes to head, deck the block. What ever is done to the block/heads changes the CR
                              07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Originally posted by TNParrothead View Post
                                Finally got a little more info on my motor. The casting is #10243880....5.7LG SGI....apparently this is a roller block. I still don’t know the compression ratio. I’m hoping some of you guys might have more info for me with these numbers. Thanks !
                                The last Volvo I disassembled was a roller block with a flat tappet cam, dished pistons, non-vortec center bolt heads.

Comment

Working...
                                X