Problem with engine coolant temperature sensor

cbemobile

Recruit
Hi everybody Sorry if my english is not so good but, i am french and i need practice to get better. I have a 2000 Beneteau Flyer 701 with a VOLVO PENTA 4.3 GI PEFS engine. I am working on it for maintenance and fix problems and i have some issue with the cooling. My engine temperature gauge was not working anymore. I replaced it and also the two temperature sensors. Since then, I have a correct information on the manometer but, the warning light comes on when the engine is running (There is no audible alarm.) The diagnosis of the alarm gives an error 14 "engine coolant temperature sensor temperature low". The engine is working properly and all parameters are nominal. I only have this alarm light that comes on. Do you have an idea for this problem ? Thank for your help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There is a sender for the gauge, and one for the ECM. Make sure the wire isnt disconnected.

Also verify engine temp with an IR thermometer.

For EFI engines, the thermostat should be a 160F

alldodge

Staff member
manometer

I'm seeing manometer which is used to measure pressure. but wonder if this is meant to be temperature?

the warning light comes on when the engine is running (There is no audible alarm.)

Does the light go out as the motor warms up?
If it does, then the sender installed may be to the North American standard (240 ohms cold - 33 ohms hot)
The European standard is 33 ohms cold - 240 ohms hot

Thalasso

Commander
It has set a code. Even though you fixed the issue the code needs to be cleared

cbemobile

Recruit
HI Guys
Thanks for your responses.
The wires are well connected.
I will check the temp and compare the one on the manometer and the real temp get with an IR thermometer.
I will check also the kind of sender. I am happy to learn that the European model of sender is inverted compare to the US one. I bought it here in chip chandler shop close to my boat site.
When I have check the error code “CT14”, I performed the reset procedure before restarting the engine when I start it the light was normal and switch on in a immediately.
I keep in touch and when the rains stops (here we have a little storm) I will perform all those check and I will post to the feedback status.

Thank you again for your help. You are super.

Regards