Volvo 290 to sx conversion???

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So i need some pricey 290 fork tilt cylinders. In my local search i found an SX from a 4cyl. I have a v8. I have pitting everywhere. Other than the cylinders it's cosmetic.

I was told i could use the newer sx transom shield, the sx upper drive and tilt cylinders then put my 290 foot on. I would need am SX gm v8 y pipe.

My question is, are both the sx and 290 shield foot prints the same? Will my shift linkage stay the same? Will my bellhosing from the 290 fit the sx?

it's a good price, just not sure if my aq211 risers will fit the sx v8 y pipe. Then it comes down to if it's worth the work.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I've never done this but the footprints of the AQ and the SX drives are totally different. The transom cut out is much larger for the AQ drive system.

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok will either just buy new cylinders and/or keep an eye out for a used 290 on a clunker of a boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You were told wrong

The AQ series of drives uses a hole about 300% larger than the SX or SM or other drives

There used to be a transom shield for the swap, however it was over $1000 for just the casting. The kit was more like $1500. It is NLA

The other option is to rebuild the transom and cut a smaller hole