Good or Bad idea for 50:1 fuel/oil mix winterizing

dearmosd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So this was my first time winterizing my VP (previous merc/carb enigine owner) and I removed the fitting to my fuel pump and put a line from 50:1 oil/fuel ration can to the fuel pump.

Instead of removing fitting each year couldnt I add a valve and a T fitting to my existing fuel line and off the T fitting have another hose with a valve so I more easily stop the flow of one fuel source and start another?

This way all I have to do is connect a fuel line from my 50:1 mix fuel tank to the valve barb fitting and just open it up

Can anyone think of any negative outcome from this set up? It would make fogging next year even quicker or maybe easier for me to fog in between lake house visits

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've got no issue with it. Ive run my 1986 Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke kicker for my sailboat for years at 50:1. Being that my 6 gallon tank can last me six months i also use stabil with each fill up. I don't use non ethanol but I do use 91 to 93 oct. She sits on a mooring 6 months a year and in a drive way the other half of the year. Plenty of moisture.

i ALWAYS mix my stabilizer for long term 2 yr or more storage at each fill up. I also use stihl or Husqvarna 2 stroke mix (im a dealer so it's cheaper)

on my old sailboat i used 2 small fuel tanks for a much more fuel hungry 2 stroke outboard. I had 5/16 fuel lines and ran a brass fuel selector T from a snapper pro zero turn(again im a dealer) but exmark, scag etc also run these to go from a left to right fuel tank. I believe our volvos have 3/8nfuel hoses but the same concept applies. I thought about adding an extra fuel tank to my motor boat in the area under my cockpit floor. Its about 10 c.ft of unused space i could fit another 20 gallons of emergency fuel, being a sailor i always want more fuel and more water. If i did it would be a similar set up. Keep in mind these fuel selectors im talking about are for mechanical or low psi (@5psi) fuel pumps for carbureted engines. A 45plus psi in tank fuel pump would probably over power the fuel selector and leak. Whether they make one that is made for those psi ranges or not id wanna know before i hooked it up, closed the hatch and fired it up.

If you plan on leaving this small 2 cycle tank hooked up beyond just a quick storage prep make sure she's properly vented to the transom.

dearmosd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
no, I was planning on a one gallon can that I can easily hook up to the T/valve side for fogging purpose only

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
T with seylector should be just fine. For saftey id still put a plug on the fogger fuel nipple when not in use. Gasoline leaks are no bueno.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You might want to ask what the US Coast Guard recommends for this kind of setup. I believe they are quite fussy.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
fogging an I/O is a waste of time. then again, fogging an outboard is a waste of time. drain it, store it, use it.

USCG is very specific about fuel systems on I/Os if you want to fog, you cant have a contraption like you show (plus its a good way to take out your fuel pump if you forget to open a valve)

tpenfield

Staff member
I agreed with the posts about complying with USCG regulations on fuel systems. I'd like to have a set-up as you described, but would only do it if it would comply with the Regs.

tpenfield

Staff member
Just thinking . . . if a 'multiple tank' set-up where the primary tank is the main tank and the second tank is the auxiliary tank could be made to be USCG compliant. I assume that the aux. tank would have to be installed according to USCG regs and the piping , valves and fitting be according to USCG regs as well.

Then you could use the aux. tank for a variety of purposes , , , fogging, fuel system cleaning, decarb solution, etc.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If you want to protect the exposed valve stems and seats, then just whip out the fogging oil and give a few quick shots. That little bit will also coat the cylinder walls.
However, on the newer I/Os with Cats and O2 sensors, that would be a no-no. There it is best to follow what the owners manual says. It astounds me how many people never look in the manufacturers literature. It often has almost all the info needed.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Won’t do any harm. Leave a nice coating of oil in the bores, has water deterant and smells nice ! 50/1 isn’t much though.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you want to protect the exposed valve stems and seats, then just whip out the fogging oil and give a few quick shots. That little bit will also coat the cylinder walls.
However, on the newer I/Os with Cats and O2 sensors, that would be a no-no. There it is best to follow what the owners manual says. It astounds me how many people never look in the manufacturers literature. It often has almost all the info needed.

^^^^^^^ This