1999 5.7 dp-sm

cwrhyne

Seaman
I was winterizing my boat yesterday and I found something that concerned me. While taking off the bottom hose off the raw water pump I noticed that where it connects it is a 2 piece deal and it swivels inside the upper piece. like its supposed to be glued in or something and it is not. like if I twisted it by with my hang I could pull it out. If you look at the picture, you can see almost like a fitting inside another. Should I be concerned? I looked at a replacement pump and they are one piece. So can this be fixed? Or is it even broken? Not sure whats going on here.

Attachments

• photo303782.png
    photo303782.png
    7 KB · Views: 0

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Normal, it is a plastic insert and sealed with an "O" ring. Pump is manufactured by Johnson for VP the later pumps were all brass.

Attachments

• photo303787.jpg
    photo303787.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0

GeorgeDes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Was surprised to find this same thing on my VP setup. I had a leak in this area not realizing that there is a joint there, I replaced the entire raw water unit. Was not until I pulled the old one off that I saw where the plastic joins the top cover. The all brass top covers are available for about $120.00. Far less than the cost of a new raw water pump!

cwrhyne

Seaman
I just realized this post is really old but if you see this can you send me a link to the part? I've been looking but cannot find it. Thank you