Volvo 290 trim cylinder replacement options

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So i got my outdrive off. Looking at my leak free rams there is an issue with one of them. The starboard side is pitted badly. I can see half the threads of the one of the high pressure inlet hoses. I need a replacement. I think its wise to deal with this in the midst of a transom rebuild and not later when i would have to remove the engine again to remove the locking pins.

Im sitting on some 4 sets of mercury cylinders but these square tubes that fit from about 84 to 91 290/290a both sp and dp connect under the gimball housing and outdrive, not outside. They are also much shorter thab the mercury. Is there a good supplier of an aftermarket ram or supplier of a good used one, even if it's just a good body I can use my inner parts along with new seals/o rings.

Thanks ahead of time

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
they are on ebay all the time if you want cheap. they are still available new as well.

completely different manufacturer (and countries) than the MC cylinders. Volvo used Hoerbinger (germany) for the cylinders, MC is now using Showa (Japan) and on top of that, different bores, etc. no way on this earth you can mix and match parts from your MC cylinders.

you may have to pull the transom shield to get the pin out. there is not much room if there is a motor in the way, much less trying to get slide-hammers in there.

I would suggest pulling the transom shield anyway. if the cylinder has pitting, your bonding cables are no longer connected and that needs to be addressed prior to you putting the boat back in the water or you will have the same problem again.

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for the quick reply

I didn't see anything more than rebuild kits for these on ebay. Found some nos ones but the seller and i dont seem to see eye to eye pricing. Its only October, boating season doesn't start for us until april/may so he can continue letting them collect dust in his warehouse.

I will continue searching ebay for a square body ram, hope one or a set pops up soon as i wont resemble with these. I realize it has to be a specific specific for this application (dont tell anyone im using a mercury trim pump!) I was hoping sierra or other aftetmarket manufacturer had provided one. Ive been searching using the vp part number which has superseded since. The only new ones i could find where a grand or more.

I'm in the process of rebuilding the transom so it's all coming out anyway. ive also got to replace the raw water goose neck on the back of the outdrive. This boat has obviously spent time at a marinas wet slip and i dont see any anodes on it any more. Lots of neglect on this mini cabin boat from the p.o. i keep finding nickle/dime items the further i dig on this boat. This is why i went to saiboats years ago!!! Family wants to go fast now.

On pulling the motor, the two exhaust bellows that go between the y pipes and risers, make out of hose material. Do i need to remove my risers to remove those? Also is my riser gasket reusable or a single use squish gasket?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The water inlet casting gets replaced every 2 years

The trim pump is an oildyne 108 unit used by both volvo and mercruiser .The difference is the relief settings

Keep looking, i found a complete transom shield with cylinders for $200 on CL

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mine looks like its original to the 1989 boat! I passed up on a complete dp 1993 volvo penta with a frozen block for 1200 a few months ago. I feel like and idiot now!