Volvo Penta 290 pivot pin removal question

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Mud dobbers have nested in the threaded holes and i cant get any 5/16 bolt to easily start. I want to use a thread chaser to clean it out but what size is it? I want to make sure i bring the right size/thread bolts and thread chaser home to remove rhe outdrive this weekend. Im making a little puller to remove them. Thanks ahead of time.

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey mods please delete one of these threads. Didnt mean to make 2. My phone kicked me back to the create thread page instead of my new thread. I apologize.

kenny nunez

Captain
The thread should be 1/4” 20 . The top of the hole is not threaded. The thread starts deeper in the pivot slug.

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Its larger than 1/4, i used a 1/4 drill bit to clean out most of the mud/dirt and it had plenty of play.

i used a 1/4" inch to remove the helmet.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
kenny nunez , he is talking the threaded hinge pins on the side on the later 290's that were threaded for the slide hammer

I believe they are M8 threads on those (memory is a bit fuzzy) I can look in the manual when I get home

to clean mud-dauber from there, simply use water to soften the mud, then blow out with air.

however you can use a brass drift and drive them in towards the drive to get them out as that was the method of removing the pins prior to the holes being added.

kenny nunez

Captain
Hopefully the thread is 5/16” 24. All the Volvo drives I worked on were fractional and not metric. When you have to work on something with both it really turns out to be a PITA.

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I went ahead and brought home my entire tap set. It was indeed 8 mm, i dont remeber the thread count but it was not fine. I used torqx headed bolts that came off of one of my passats to thread down thru my home made puller. Was able to slide that outdrive off in less than 20 min once i got the threads cleaned. I have a home built cradle made from a harbor freight furniture dolly to take the grunt work out of it.

Thanks for the help!