Engine Swap questions 5.7GXI-J

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`ve begun the process of swapping out my locked up 5.7 with a new long block 5.7. I will need to transfer some of the components from the bad engine over to the new block. In the process I am refurbishing/repainting some of the items as I go.

Specifically regarding the sensors of the block such as crankshaft position, anti-knock and oil pressure, are they VP specific or will any GM sensor do the same thing. The GM and VP parts look identical but of course the VP parts are four times the cost. Will an automotive sensor do the same as an original VP part?

Also the remote oil filter lines need to be replaced as they have wear marks from vibrating against the power steering pump. Can a automotive shop such as NAPA reconstruct these lines or are they VP specific. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes in both cases, VP nor Merc make the sensors, and hydraulic/oil lines are just that.

Can even make your own oil lines with the correct fittings. Hydraulic lines can be made for 5000 psi, your only working with 100 at the most.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just dont get the lines flipped. the oil pump bypass will open and you wont be filtering oil. also make sure your new long block has the correct filter bypass check valve pressure for running remote lines

any hydraulic shop can make up lines (usually much less than NAPA)

the sensors are generally made by Honeywell, Little Fuse or Standard Motor Products. they are bought by GM, then sold to VP or Mercruiser. so cut-out the middle man and get from your local FLAPS (Friendly Neighborhood Auto Parts Store)

note that some things like the IAC or injectors may not be GM, and may actually be Ford or other.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where did you get the long block from? I will be doing the same this soon.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I looked around and ended up getting one through Michigan Motors. While many others had the typical 5.7, they were typically rated for at 300 HP, my GXI is a 320HP. Apparently the difference is in the heads that Volvo used.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I looked around and ended up getting one through Michigan Motors. While many others had the typical 5.7, they were typically rated for at 300 HP, my GXI is a 320HP. Apparently the difference is in the heads that Volvo used.

pretty sure same heads (vortec), different cam

alldodge

Staff member
I'm thinking difference is intake and throttle body, or different tune, maybe no so fat.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
The guy at Michigan Motors was saying something about roller rockers being a difference. I do agree with you guys though, don't see how that would make a 20 HP difference just buy itself.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
roller rockers simply are a lower parasitic internal load allowing more HP to remain at the crank. its not 20hp worth, however closer to 5. however a different rocker ratio would change the power output.

Lubak572

Petty Officer 1st Class

So you went with their red VP one? Did you get a cam card or any other specs with it?

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
So you went with their red VP one? Did you get a cam card or any other specs with it?

Yep, the red VP GXI motor. No specs with it other than the claim that it is a new engine, not rebuilt. Assuming that the specs would be factory stated specs.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
just dont get the lines flipped. the oil pump bypass will open and you wont be filtering oil. also make sure your new long block has the correct filter bypass check valve pressure for running remote lines

Happened on my 5.7. Dealer installed Remote Filter had the hoses reversed. At 100 hrs the engine sounded like it had solid lifters. Dealer disassembled the engine and found the crankshaft and main bearings way off spec.was badly worn, the camshft bearings shot.

however a different rocker ratio would change the power output.

Volvo did replace the 1.5:1 rockers with 1.6:1 on the higher HP 5.7 liter engines. It effectively increases the usable duration while maintaining low rpm torque

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Ok, I have another related question. My new long block is in, the old block has been stripped down and all components, nuts and bolts have been refurbished. I am now ready to transfer the intake manifold from the old block over to the new. The intake manifold has an upper and lower. The upper is the carrier for the throttle body, fuel rail and injectors. The lower is primarily the cast intake passages.

Should I separate the two before transferring to the new block or keep them together and transfer as on piece. I am afraid that I will booger something up, especially while removing the injectors that ends up costing me more money. However the unit would be much easier to clean and repaint if they could be separated.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if you dont have a problem or a leak, no need to separate.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure to really clean off the sealing surfaces on the manifold, and carefully torque the intake gaskets to spec. I'd use Fel/Pro intake gaskets, they seem to be about the best there is out there.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I thought the difference in HP between mercruiser and VP was where the HP figures where taken from. Prop and flywheel, respectively.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I thought the difference in HP between mercruiser and VP was where the HP figures where taken from. Prop and flywheel, respectively.

sae standards determined prop vs flywheel. The standard changed in the 80's. All are prop rated

VP offers more hp for marketing reasons

Walt T

Lieutenant
I like Advanced Marine Engines in Wyoming. Bought hundreds of engines and the very few they had to warranty they did quickly.