572 / SPC single drive issue

Albers

Cadet
I have a 1993 Wellcraft / Excel 26 boat. Ever since I bought it the trim gauge didn't work which is not a huge deal but I'd like all to work like it should. A few weeks ago I was checking the U-joint and bellow and since I had it all apart I figured I'd fix it My (852984) driving wheel was shot so I bought a new one. I also bought an (873531) sensor because that was shot too. Now, the drive goes up and down fine, but the minute I plug the (873531) sensor, it only goes down. The red light on the "box" (857448) lights up and it trim won't move. Even if I rotate the (873531) sensor to where the red light isn't on, the trim still won't move. Should I just forget about making it "right"?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Follow the trim troubleshooting guide in the factory manual

Albers

Cadet
I've looked in the workshop manual and it doesn't show troubleshooting. It does show a wiring diagram (attached)
The relays at the pump are good. One of the relays at the "black box" was bad so I replaced both (see picture). The connections are all clean now too. I've seen lots of things to find out why trim up or down may not work but mine does, UNTIL I plug in the sender.

What does that "black box" do? If I unplug the sender for the trim angle, I can trim up & down. If I plug in the sender, it only lets me trim down. Sometimes the red light of the black box will be on and still only lets me trim down only. I can rotate the sender and the light on the box will go out but I still cannot trim up.

There is a override switch on the dash that I would use to trailer but now I can trim all the way up without needing to use the switch - hopefully that is a clue for someone?

Thanks, Teo

Attachments

• Wiring Diagram.pdf
    56.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo303214.jpg
    photo303214.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Albers

Cadet
Thanks for the responses. I tested the new sender. Readings seem to be what they should be: 990 ohms between 1-3 and range of 35 to 1000 variable between 2-3. What I noticed is (see my picture) On my replacement sender, 1 is black not red and 3 is red, not black - #2 green is same. Not sure if that is a problem or not because on either one, at the connection, red mates with red and black mates with black.

FYI, I have the sender connected loose to where I can rotate by hand.
The old sender which tested out shot lets me trim up/down like always when connected.
The new sender, which tested good lets me trim up/down as long as I don't plug it in, haha
The new sender lets me trim up/down as usual if red light on black box is NOT on (but, there is only 45 degrees of turn that the red light is not on)
The new sender lets me trim up/down if the red light is on (which is 315 degrees of turn) but only lets me trim up if I hold the dash switch.

I have my gauge connected but I have a feeling I blew it out a week ago hooking up test voltage. It only shows a low of midway and high off the charts.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks, Teo

Attachments

• photo303241.jpg
    photo303241.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Let me look in my 290DP manual ans see if I can extract the pages. My original square gauge would drop out sporadically. Found a NOS gauge for $100

Albers

Cadet
I'll check it out. I assumed that mine came from factory set for single prop. Maybe it just failed like yours did?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
yours has the separate "box" where my gauge had everything internal. I was loosing either power or ground to the LCD itself so I couldnt read the gauge.

I may repair it