EFI fogging concoction recipe?

kdiddle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know I've read the formula for taking a small can of gas along with two stroke oil and whatnot to run through engine before winterizing, but I can't seem to find it by searching and its not in the stickies, they only reference the carb process and I have EFI. Can someone please enlighten me on the process?

tpenfield

Staff member
1 gallon of gasoline add 12-13 ounces of of 2-cycle oil, plus appropriate amount of stabilizer, all in an auxiliary tank.

Connect tank to engine fuel line. Run engine for 10-15 minutes so that the winterizing fuel gets through the fuel system and into the engine.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Just add your two cycle oil into the fuel filter/separator and run the engine for about 15 minutes. This period will warm the oil up so that you can then pump it out.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Just add your two cycle oil into the fuel filter/separator and run the engine for about 15 minutes. This period will warm the oil up so that you can then pump it out.

That's what I used to do, until I found a nifty port with a threaded plug just downstream of my throttle body. I usscrew the plug and use it to add fogging oil.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I just run the tank as low as I dare. Fire 5l of fuel in at about a 20/1 mix and run it.

Walt T

Lieutenant
Just my opinion.... injectors are not designed to squirt oil.. I don't fog mpi injected systems, but I do add Sea Foam the the gas and run it awhile. I'm sure people have been doing the mix for years with no problems, But I respectfully disagree.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Five answers that are different from Volvo's recommendations.

People wonder why their engine has problems?

kdiddle doesn't say what engine they have but this is Volvo's latest from the owners manual.

Fuel Storage Mixture
This procedure requires a moderate level of
mechanical skill and knowledge. If you do not feel
comfortable performing this procedure, see your Volvo
Penta dealer for assistance. Ask the dealer to perform
this Fuel Storage Mixture procedure as part of
preparing the engine for storage.
Using a portable, outboard engine fuel tank, add:
• Fresh fuel (enough to run engine 15 minutes)
• Two-cycle motor oil (50:1 ratio, gas to oil)
• Volvo Penta Ethanol Fuel Treatment, per label
instructions
DANGER!
Fuel and vapors will be present during procedure,
which can result in an explosion; provide ventilation
and eliminate all sources of spark or flame.
WARNING!
Engine must be run to complete process. Take
precautions to ensure safety and prevent engine
damage:
• Boat must be properly supported.
• Run the engine using the engine flush fitting. The
engine must have adequate cooling water; always
monitor engine temperature gauge and alarms
when running engine with boat out of water.
1. Not available in all markets. Use a comparable marine fuel
stabilizer if the Ethanol Fuel Treatment is not available.
• Run engine with drive out of gear and in full trim
down position.
• Do not run fuel pumps dry.
1 Disconnect the fuel line at the inlet fitting of the
engine's fuel pump. Connect a line from the
portable tank (with storage mixture) to the fuel
pump inlet.
2 Run the engine on the storage mixture for five
minutes at 1500 RPM. This will ensure that all fuel
system and internal engine components are
protected.
3 Reduce the engine speed to idle and stop the
engine.
4 Reconnect the boat fuel line to the fuel inlet fitting
and check for fuel leaks. Do not start engine.
DANGER!
Failure to inspect your work may allow fuel leakage to
go undetected. This could become a fire or explosion
hazard.

tpenfield

Staff member
The Mercruiser service bulletin has the mix at a 10:1 ratio, unless they have recently changed it . . . :noidea:

The part of either procedure that I find the most difficult is disconnecting the fuel line. I find that it also helps to prime the line from the auxiliary tank.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
The Mercruiser service bulletin has the mix at a 10:1 ratio, unless they have recently changed it . . . :noidea:

The part of either procedure that I find the most difficult is disconnecting the fuel line. I find that it also helps to prime the line from the auxiliary tank.

Yes MerCruiser still recommends the 10:1 ratio.
But I thought this was a Volvo?
Maybe the O.P. Has a throttle body with VST fuel system? Maybe that would have a different preferred procedure?

i guess the point I’m trying to make is that a lot of people seem to think that all EFI engines are the same and that what’s best fior a MerCruiser will be right for a Volvo. Many times that can lead to big problems. All the ways recommended in the above posts can work OK on some engine (except dumping oil in the filter —- that’s just a bad idea on any engine) but there will be one method that works best for your engine.

Remember, when we fog an EFI engine it’s not just about protecting the pistons and cylinder walls. It’s also about protecting the fuel system. Pumps, injectors and fuel pipes need love to!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
What "nifty port" are you referring to?

There's a threaded plug in a threaded hole that's about 1/2" diameter on the top of the intake manifold, just downstream of the throttle body. The plug has a 1/4" Allen head and comes out easily. I take it out with the engine running, use my finger to throttle the air going in to keep the engine speed around 900 to 1200 RPM and spray fogging oil into the port.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Owner Winterization is one of the biggest money makers for Dealerships. Good profit on all the stuff the do-it-yourselfers buy, then next spring/summer a long line of mocha in the oil pan repairs, gummed up carbs, or injector systems.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Surely the vp GLI is a merc EFI and a VP gxi is a merc MPI. Meaning the fogging for one, would suit the other.
The merc manual was changed recently to advise the heavy 2 stroke mix at about 10/1 and NOT to fog as per the usual way.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It is surprising the difference in the fuel vs 2 stroke oil mix between Merc and VP. 50:1 is like 2 %, Merc is 5x as rich on the oil? Still have a carb so still do it the old fashioned way. My 4.3 will not stall unless I use 2 cans simultaneously. However judging by the amount of condensation I see on the outside of the engine in winter I think fogging is definitely worth doing...I wonder how many cases of stuck valves were caused by not fogging in a damp winter climate....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Must admit, for the last 20 odd years of owning gm engines, I never fogged them and they were fine. I occasionally put a shot of 2 stroke down the plug holes of my old carb variants.
But...more recently I have been following the manual on my merc mpi and running 2 stroke through it. I never bother with the remote tank hassle. Just run it really low in tank and mix some in with that. Run it for a while and put the boat on trailer for winter. No problems so far.