Involutary shifting to neutral upon deceleration

02cobalt

Recruit
VOLVO PENTA DP-SM
I just replaced my upper gear box housing assembly with one from a marine junk yard. I flushed out the lower unit well and installed to the upper unit and fitted to the Gimball housing & filled fluid to the weep hole above with GL5 Full Synthetic oil and took for a test spin Sunday. All performs well except when decelerating sharply from a high rate of speed. When pulling off the throttle, you can tell that the engine does not help slow the boat. It just goes to idle. It's like you shift to neutral but it is still in drive. When you throttle up, the engine spins freely (as if in neutral) and then experiences an abrupt engagement which jolts the boat and you are under way again. It certainly could cause failure if not corrected. What are some of the things which may cause such of a disengagement between sudden deceleration and acceleration? The supplier of the gear box says the shifter cable needs adjusting. I can't see that if the function between forward and reverse are normal. Your thoughts?
Jess