Did I winterize it right? Anti-Freeze Fill Up

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I figured -75F was the freeze rating; if not then that's a problem LOL...also, I am unable to even read the reviews on that site...a rating of one star and I can't see why.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I was able to read some. People complained that it froze solid at zero and caused leaks in their RV water system. Well I put one jug of my Sierra mix in the freezer (coldest it gets is -6*F) and the coldest temps we ever get is about zero. The Sierra AF mix was completely liquid at -6 in the freezer. If you have any of that stuff left put a sample in the freezer and see what happens.
When I first started doing winterizing I tested out the -50 and -60 in the freezer at about zero. Both got hard (solid) but did not expand. However, that did not give me a good feeling so I have always used either the West Marine -100 stuff (which has a freeze rating of about -45*F or so) or mixed up some Sierra at 50/50 which is rated for freeze at -26. In the years when the West Marine stuff was not on sale, I used Sierra but if it was on sale, sometimes it was easier to just get that. So to me those are the only 2 good choices.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yes they both do. The West Marine -100 is intended for storage, not as an engine coolant, the Sierra can be used as an engine coolant in vehicles or boats, but is non toxic. Either one will work, the West stuff is more convienent because you don’t have to mix anything