Volvo Penta 4.3

Jnpw

Cadet
Guys, need to replace the impeller on my Volvo Penta 4.3 GL. I believe it’s located in the lower unit, but how do I get to it? Does the entire lower unit have to be removed just to replace the damn impeller???

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
not on the lower unit, they are either mounted on the crank pulley area or driven off a belt on the engine. So, easier than a Merc Alpha but not as easy as an OMC Cobra ;)

boater535

Cadet
Your impeller is in your raw water pump, has two hoses, an IN and OUT hose. Simply remove the raw water pump assembly carefully pry the old impeller out of the housing and replace it with a new one. REPLACE THE GASKET too while you're replacing the impeller! GOOD LUCK! hope that helps a little!

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did mine on my 4.3GL a few months ago. I removed the back seat to make it easier to work on; I went with a factory Volvo impeller in hopes it would last the longest; the original was probably from 2004 and was torn. I also replaced the o-ring as mentioned. This was an easy job if you have any mechanical skill and you remove the back seat. I did have to use the "zip-tie" method to compress the new impeller enough to work it into the housing. Be sure to use plenty of glycerine or dish soap to lube it up. After I replaced it, I ran it on the trailer with the back seat out and inspected...the area around the where the gasket "sweat" a little water but not significant...after the motor warmed up this went away and then I checked it again the next time out at the lake and it must have "cured" because no more moisture around the sealing point. That was my experience...let us know if you get it done.

And yes, the raw water pump is driven off the crank (front of the motor) on the 4.3 GL. Does your boat have the water inlet for a hose inside the engine bay? If so, be sure to always use that instead of muffs if/when you run it on the trailer.

Jnpw

Cadet
Gentlemen, all good info. I’m uploading a picture. Please let me know if you believe this is the puppy where the impeller will be located.

Attachments

• photo303166.jpg
    photo303166.jpg
    748 KB · Views: 1

Jnpw

Cadet
Anyone have the part number for the impeller kit? Again, Volvo Penta 4.3 GL in a 98 Glastron Fish and Ski.

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Back lower port side of the engine should have a tag that will tell you what version of the 4.3GL you have. I think the fist iteration of the 4.3GL had some differences so you need to figure out which on you have (my '04 is a GL-C) and then go here to look up the OEM part numbers: http://www.volvopentastore.com/

Jnpw

Cadet
What do you think guys? Need to be replaced 😂😂😂

Attachments

• photo303444.jpg
    photo303444.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Jnpw

Cadet
Also removed the thermostat housing to get the remainder of the broken fins out. It was a mess. Replacing the thermostat as well. Had a lot of rust build up and had clearly experienced a lot of heat.

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
MAn I thought mine was bad with just one torn fin...was that the original from 1998?

Jnpw

Cadet
I can only assume! I just bought the boat. Had it on the water 10 minutes before it started smoking out the engine compartment. Obviously why.