Winterizing 1993 volvo penta 180 sei (431b engine)

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum but have used this site many times to perform maintenance on a boat I have just purchased. The boat I am inquiring about today is not mine but a friends, he and I want to winterize his boat. I am mechanically inclined but would like to be certain we are not going to have cracked block etc. in the spring. Does anyone have the mechanics book for the boat mentioned in the title? I would like to read the section on winter storage if someone has it. Also, if anyone has advice for this boat and engine/out-drive that would be great. I did find the owners manual for the boat and it does have short section on winter storage but I would like to see how the mechanics manual suggests it should be done. Thank you for the help!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

go to the volvo penta website and get a factory service manual.

or, in short:
run motor on muffs, get to temp
change oil and filter
run the motor to make sure you dont have an oil leak
pull the drains on the sides of the block (one on each side) - poke and prod the hole to make sure rust flakes and crud are not plugging it up
pull the drains on the manifolds (one on each side)- poke and prod the hole to make sure rust flakes and crud are not plugging it up
pull the drain on the intake manifold (one in front just below the thermostat)
pull the line from the transom shield to the raw water pump and drain
pull the large hose from the ciculating pump to the thermostat housing and drain
I like to pull the impeller on my raw water pump (mine is crank driven and it takes about 30 seconds)

you are now winterized

if you want to add antifreeze because it makes you warm and fuzzy, use -100F PG antifreeze for engine storage, re-install the drains, connect all your hoses, and add to the system with a funnel at the thermostat housing.

its a good idea to pull the drive, inspect the bellows, etc. as well as change gear lube (looking for water in oil) as well as greasing your prop shaft

also a good idea to change the fuel filter.

now for the rest of the boat, bounce drier sheets and irish spring soap shavings in disposable bowls thru-out the boat to keep mice and spiders away.

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the help. I wanted to save my friend the cash because he helps me out a lot and I did not want to screw this one up. I also found the manual but I did not want to spend the cash for on boat that is not mine especially when i know that winterizing a boat only involves.....draining water for the most part. Also, my boat has a OMC motor and out-drive so im not familiar with Volvo Penta.