Penta 5.0GXi-E Water Pump Pulley Seized

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
I recently had to replace the belt tensioner on my 5.0GXi due to the plastic pulley getting shredded. I was thinking this was just due to the bearings in that pulley going bad and it seizing up. I decided to go ahead and replace the belt, because although there was no visible damage I figured it was probably a good idea anyhow. I noticed while pulling the old belt off that the pulley for the water pump is totally seized up - I assume this is not normal and could have caused my belt tensioner to receive abnormal stress, causing failure.

Can anyone tell me if it is normal for these pulleys to be unable to be turned? I used all of my strength and couldn't get it to budge.

Bondo

Staff member
Nope,..... Not normal, should turn pretty easily with the belt off,......

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks. I pulled the water pump assembly off of the engine, and it turns, however the wheel that the pulley was bolted to is extremely difficult to move. I assume this is not good. What should I look at next?

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks. I pulled the water pump assembly off of the engine, and it turns, however the wheel that the pulley was bolted to is extremely difficult to move. I assume this is not good. What should I look at next?

I'm messing something. Its a VP motor and would have a crankshaft raw water pump, but we are not talking about that one. The water pump in question is the circulating water pump. Are you talking about the idler pulley is hard to turn?

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
I'm messing something. Its a VP motor and would have a crankshaft raw water pump, but we are not talking about that one. The water pump in question is the circulating water pump. Are you talking about the idler pulley is hard to turn?

I attached a picture of where it is mounted - raw water pump - I think it is crankshaft mounted, which is what concerns me.

Attachments

• photo302737.jpg
    photo302737.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
OK, that pulley only rotates when the motor is running, you cannot just move it by hand without a lot of effort.

j2017

Seaman Apprentice
OK, that pulley only rotates when the motor is running, you cannot just move it by hand without a lot of effort.

Thanks again for the response, so my raw water pump may very well be okay. I'm going to go ahead and replace the impeller while I have it out.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, when I first read your post I was thinking (also believe others did as well) it was the circulating water pump. Now that we know its the raw water pump, the initial question

noticed while pulling the old belt off that the pulley for the water pump is totally seized up - I assume this is not normal and could have caused my belt tensioner to receive abnormal stress, causing failure.

would be answered something like:
The pulley only rotates when the motor does, so your OK.

Replacing the impeller is a good plan

Bondo

Staff member
when I first read your post I was thinking (also believe others did as well) it was the circulating water pump.

Ayuh,..... Exactly,.....