Volvo Penta Outboard broken. Need info/parts

michelebspy

Recruit
I have a 1982 Bayliner Volvo Penta IO aq125/270. During a rainstorm, the outboard dropped and the motor for it ran constantly but would not move. I took it off

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you mean the outdrive?

most likely you have a short somewhere if the tilt motor ran constantly. most likely caused by the rain. time to start finding where the short is.

michelebspy

Recruit
Scott, do you think it may be fixable. I'm so worried about mechanic not being able to find replacement parts. Any help?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Scott, do you think it may be fixable. I'm so worried about mechanic not being able to find replacement parts. Any help?

anything is fixable, and if your mechanic cant find replacement parts, he didnt look.

michelebspy

Recruit
He took off the outdrive. The roller and motor is fine, something internal he said. If he can't find the parts, I want to find them. I'm in the market for a new boat I/O cuddy/fishing 21-25 anyway but she's been my baby for 34 years but need to sell her

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
He took off the outdrive. The roller and motor is fine, something internal he said. If he can't find the parts, I want to find them. I'm in the market for a new boat I/O cuddy/fishing 21-25 anyway but she's been my baby for 34 years but need to sell her

I'm starting to think there are no Volvo Penta mechanics around any more. I cannot think of any reason to take an outdrive off to fix the tilt mechanism. Even if the steel tube (lower part of the mechanism) is corroded into the stern unit, a big f'n hammer on the outside should get it freed up. But, parts are getting much harder to find now lately.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Pent...h=item2ab82f4a45:g:mIYAAOSw4DJaY4ZT:rk:3:pf:0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
can you post a pic of the drive , might know of one, pm if needed