5.7 GXI motor mount question

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I’m getting ready to pull my engine and have a couple questions as it pertains to the engine mounts. All wires, lines, cables and hoses have been disconnected. My question pertains to the front engine mounts.

I tried loosening the large top nut with a crescent wrench but it just turned with the bolt. Apparently you have to use a wrench on the under nuts to keep it from turning. What size socket do I need for that nut? Or is it best to just remove the lag screws that hold the mount to the hull and pull the mount out with the block. Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Either way, you will be aligning it when you go to install

hex for a 3/4 nut is 1-1/8

harringtondav

Commander
I'd leave the lag screws alone. The ones in my '96 Larson and my friend's '94 Rinker twisted off (6 of 8). The top nut on one of my mounts froze, and the stud spun in the rubber. (I hope you don't have the same issue). So I had to twist off the lags to get the mount out. The head on one of the other mount's lags broke off at sometime. Digging out the stubs and re-sinking new lags is a first class pain. A crows foot adapter on the mount's lower lock nut is worth the cost. Wrench clearance when adjusting alignment is limited.

If your top locking nut is frozen, try penetrating oil, heat, nut splitter, die grinder, etc. to get it off. A new nut is cheap.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most likely the adjustment nuts are frozen in place, that usually means you must spend $40 per mount for new ones.

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest removing the lag bolts. If they snap off, they need to be fixed, and if the core is to soft it needs to be fixed. Once motor is out you can work on themounts and get them ready for re-alignment upon install

harringtondav

Commander
Suggest removing the lag bolts. If they snap off, they need to be fixed, and if the core is to soft it needs to be fixed. Once motor is out you can work on themounts and get them ready for re-alignment upon install

If your lag bolts twist off, consider using Stainless hanger bolts as replacements. The wood screw end will secure into your stringers, and the 3/8 - 16 machine bolt and nut will allow easy mount removal if you have to repeat in the future.
https://www.boltdepot.com/Hanger_bolts_Stainless_steel_18-8_3_8-16.aspx