can't insert alignment tool after replacing gimbal bearing

timbehnen

Cadet
Did we get this gimbal bearing set and the engine alignment checked yet? :)

No I have not. Other home projects got in the way. I plan to pull the gimbal bearing out again tomorrow evening and attempt to reinsert. I'll let you know how it goes.

alldodge

Staff member
If you pull the bearing out, your probably going to damage it. Maybe you have a tool that can grab the outer race without applying any pressure to the inner one. So far I don't know of anyone which can remove one without damaging it. Been wrong before and probably will be again

timbehnen

Cadet
If you pull the bearing out, your probably going to damage it. Maybe you have a tool that can grab the outer race without applying any pressure to the inner one. So far I don't know of anyone which can remove one without damaging it. Been wrong before and probably will be again

I have the Mallory Gimbal Bearing Remover tool. I did pull the bearing. Looking at it I could tell the inner portion was not sitting parallel to the outter portion. I could not move it with my hands so I gave it a rap with a hammer and then it sat parallel as it should. I then re-inserted the bearing. Once seated i was able to insert the alignment tool easily and turn it with two fingers as I could before removing the original bearing. Additionally, I must have gotten the grease whole lined up properly because I was now able to grease the bearing and end up with a consistent bead of grease coming out all around the bearing.

I'm replacing the u-joints as well so once I complete that I'll put it all back together and test it out.

Thanks everyone for you help.