Filling block with antifreeze

cwrhyne

Seaman
1999 Volvo Penta 5.7 GS DP-SM

I am winterizing this weekend and after reading all the stickies I am going to drain all the water from all the plugs and hoses per the owners manual. I am choosing to fill the block with antifreeze even though I know I don't have to but because I believe in being over prepared.
My question is where do I fill? Both thermostat hoses? remove thermostat and fill there too? Is there a procedure on here somewhere for this?
Thanks in advance.

alldodge

Staff member
Remove hoses from thermostat housing, larger lower one first and fill. Reinstall and remove smaller ones and fill, this will fill everything including exhaust manifolds.

Being a VP make sure to drain the intake manifold before filling

cwrhyne

Seaman
Excellent. Exactly what I was lookin for.

Drain manifold from here?

Attachments

• photo301921.jpg
    photo301921.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 3

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Remove hoses from thermostat housing, larger lower one first and fill. Reinstall and remove smaller ones and fill, this will fill everything including exhaust manifolds.

Being a VP make sure to drain the intake manifold before filling

Not hijacking, but do I need to drain this on a 5.0 GXI-B as well? Never saw anyone mention draining the intake manifold before.

alldodge

Staff member
Not hijacking, but do I need to drain this on a 5.0 GXI-B as well? Never saw anyone mention draining the intake manifold before.

Yes, or at least look for a drain plug
VP motors don't use the hose which connects the intake to the top of the circulating water pump on SBC. The places where the hose would be attached are plugged, so the plug needs to be removed to fully drain the intake

cwrhyne

Seaman
While I'm in there, how often do thermostats need to be changed? Every other year? Every 3? I've never had a problem and I'd like to keep it that way. 25 bucks is pretty cheap insurance.

alldodge

Staff member
The one in my 1995 Rinker is original and still works as designed. I use the, if its not broke don't fix it for those kinds of parts

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, or at least look for a drain plug
VP motors don't use the hose which connects the intake to the top of the circulating water pump on SBC. The places where the hose would be attached are plugged, so the plug needs to be removed to fully drain the intake

Disagree on this . The answer is no as you have a fuel injected motor and there is no drain on the manifold