4.3GL-D starting issues

Where to start. Went to go fishing, boatbstarted fine. went to back out of dock and engine died. what ive troubleshooted so far.
1. Boat is cranking over but wont fire
2. battery at 12.6 volts and i get +12v going into the distributor from the ignitor coil
3. using spark tester, i have spark from igniter coil to top of distributor and from distributor to spark plug and i have spark at the spark plug.
4. have fuel going into carb.
5. theres compression where i had the spark plug removed checking for spark and smell of fuel on cloth over hole.

im at a loss with fuel going to carb and have spark everywhere i should have. Could it be the spark is not enough to ignite the mixture.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Do you have fuel in the carb? When you pump the throttle, does gas spray into the carb throats?

Gum/varnish/dirt in the inlet filter, or the inlet needle is stuck shut perhaps

Spray some gas into the carb, does it run then?

alldodge

Staff member
Check to see if the spray your seeing is gas and not water. Stick a white rag or paper towel in the carb and pump, then smell and check color

Not down on boat right now, but theres a strong smell of fuel when i have the carb open and see the fuel spraying down. My other thoughts now are
1. Im going to remove distributor cap off and 12v into the module at the distributor. And crank the engine, if the rotor does not spin, I'm assuming my timing belt has failed, is this correct thinking.

Cant remember if i only have checked spark at 1 or 2 plugs, But if I have only checked the one plug where i had spark it would be where the rotor is making contact in the distributor, if its not rotating i wouldn't get spark at the other 5 plugs.

alldodge

Staff member
If it does not rotate, then its either the timing chain or distributor gear

A strong smell of gas means its probably just flooding and needs some carb work

Maclin

Admiral
If the timing chain is broken then the cranking will be VERY uneven.

Hey Guys. Thanks for the input. So spent some time on the boat today

1. Distributor rotor rotates when cranking. Good
2. Compression test done. Good
3. Resistance checks on the coil. 0.5ohms on the grey connector and into the Mohms from pink to the high tension terminal. I think that is way out of spec.
4. Still getting spark though but I think I'm not getting a strong enough spark.
5. After all this I used a spark plug wire between coil and and distributor and actually got a sputter of some sort. small battle one there.
6. Wrung out the cable and they look to be good
7. I'm going to assume my firing module is working or i wouldn't get any spark at all.
8. Still could be the Carb though, maybe

Talked to my local Volva penta mechanic and he would have been looking at everything I did. So after all this I've gone for a new distributor cap and rotor contact thingy and a ignition coil. See how it goes with those. after this it will be going into the shop

garyzzz84

Cadet
the volvo penta large electrical plug is notorious for same issue. try pushing plug together tighter

Been awhile, but finally replaced the ignition coil and distributor cap. She starts up like shes brand new. Thank you all.