DP/a1 trim leak

dgo3512

Recruit
Newbie to VP. I just purchased a 1992 Leisuretime houseboat fitted with Twin Volvo 501series v-8's. The drives are DP/a1 drives. The numbers that I have are Port Engine SN: 4100128705 SB Engine SN: 4100128706
Port Transom SN: 1101597731 SB Transom SN: 1101687032
Port Drive SN: Not visible SB Drive SN: Not visible. I know they are DP/A1 ones from getting in the water and looking at tag mounted on top of drive. My port drive has developed an fluid leak and has drained the reservoir. After searching forums for 2 hours i can't find much info about these drives. My question is can I remove and replace the trim cylinders and hoses without removing the drives? I am trying to repair without having to take the boat to a lift and having them repair. Is there a way to permanently fix the drive in a down position? Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

you can, however removing the drive is a 10 minute affair and will make your life so much easier then fighting with fittings in a confined space.

if you are trying to do this with the boat in the water, wont happen. as removing the lines or the cylinder mounting pins with the boat in the water will sink the boat.

boat needs to be on the hard for the repair.

cylinder rebuild kits on ebay, or your local hydraulic shop can rebuild for about $50