Timing 5.0 GL , no markings?

Insomnium

Seaman
I just rebuilt my carb and was setting it up the Vac gauge read 14.5 and says that means late engine timing. I used to always do it by ear but this time I figured to put a vac gauge on it and dial it in right.

So I go to look for the Harmonic Balancer and the indicator and I do not see any markings at all. Not even an indicator on how to time it.

Should I just leave the Vac gauge hooked up and twist the Distributor until it moves up? The motor sounds good, responds well on hose of course but want it right right before I take her down the the marina.

Last edited:

Insomnium

Seaman
50gl pefs

Looks like a Prestolite distributor it that helps.

I found the spot where markings could be and a possible indicator.
28mpjpk.jpg

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If its a carb`d motor you need a timing light not a vac gauge. If FI or TBI set it to 0 and the computer times it.
Locate the line on the balancer, apply some nail polish to see it better
28mpjpk.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Being a GL, you should either have timing marks on the damper, or will need to use an advance timing light. It will be point and shoot with the prestolite

Insomnium

Seaman
The vac gauge was just to tell my how I was doing with setting up the carb, it told me the timing might be late. As far a timing, there is no way to tell by what degree I would be adjusting it. I don't think. I just have to figure out how to move it as the water pump is on front of the bolt I could use to turn it over.

I guess my next trick is to try and turn it to find the mark if it has one.

alldodge

Staff member
There will be one, the issue is if there are very small marks other then the one deep one

alldodge

Staff member
Turn key and just bump the starter, much easier and less chance of messing something up. If you use a strap wrench on the damper, it can make it slide and will need replaced

Insomnium

Seaman
Right on thanks for the info. I will have to wait until the weekend and have someone up deck turn the key while I look for the mark. Does it have to land perfectly with the mark on the indicator of do I just need to find it to highlight it.

alldodge

Staff member
Your just trying to see if it has marks. For timing its best to use a white grease pencil and mark it, so when running you can see it better. The marks can be thin marks on the damper and can have 10 and 20 for 10 BTDC and 20 BTDC

Insomnium

Seaman
Unfortunately there are a couple of cruddy spots where the mark may have been. I appears as if there might have been a . line etched into the damper at some point but there is pitting there now but I think I can see where a mark was.

I have a bad feeling I am going to have to manually find TDC and make a new mark and start over. I just hope I am able to turn the engine but the water pump is in the way and not sure what I can crank to move it underneath.

Before I go all through that I am going to get a timing light with advance, highlight the mark I think is it, set it to 10 degrees and see how close it is for now.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
If you have an advance timing light, there will be no need to find the other markings

Insomnium

Seaman
If you have an advance timing light, there will be no need to find the other markings

Thats why I decided to get one with advance. I just need to hope the scratch I found is the actual mark right?

Last edited: