Volvo Penta 5.0 Gxi-e sputter, black smoke at idle

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
Boat sat unused for a little over a month. Went to start in preparation for a day on the water Started rough, stalled. Throttle all the way forward with prop disengaged, very rough start and black (ish) smoke, fuel odor. Shut down, checked for water in fuel, found none. Replaced fuel filter, restarted w same results. Any ideas?

Thank you.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't know squat about V-P's, so carbed or injected?

alldodge

Staff member
very rough start and black (ish) smoke, fuel odor

Being a GXI your motor should be MPI. Can you provide some more input on any issues prior to it having trouble this time? Is this a new to you boat?

If not new, and was running good, check fuel pressure on the rail

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
I have owned the boat for about three years now. I do annual routine maintenance. I replaced the IAC about six months ago. I always use non-ethanol fuel

Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks, check fuel pressure and should be 50-60 psi
Also with gauge on the rail, the pressure should go up and hold without the motor being cranked or started. It can drop slowly

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you. I ordered a new Bosch FPR on amazon for $27 and it arrived today. I will still test the pressure but for $27 ( and it is my understanding the VP FPR is made by Bosch and painted red, marked up a ridiculous amount) I will just replace it regardless of the pressure test results. The boat and motor are 2004 with about 620 hours on motor.

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
So I tested the fuel pressure at the rail and it was reading and holding at 50 psi. Then I removed the FPR (pictures attached) and installed the new Bosch FPR. I have not tested further because I ran out of daylight.

any thoughts or comments on results so far or pictures of the original FPR that I removed? There does appear to be something (paint from internal guts of fuel pump?) on the screen.

Thank you

Attachments

• photo301990.jpg
    photo301990.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 0

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
More pictures

Attachments

• photo302006.jpg
    photo302006.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo302007.jpg
    photo302007.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo302008.jpg
    photo302008.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 0

kenny nunez

Captain
Test the rail with a magnet, if it is plain steel rust could be flaking and clogging the screens. The rail used on Mercruiser is stainless which is the same as used on some GM trucks. The Volvo rail is $$$$$ and if the replacement is steel then the problem will come back. Remove the fuel injectors and have them purged at a fuel injector shop.

alldodge

Staff member
50 psi is within range, as for the regulator, has some crud but was probably working

Did it stay at 50 when the key was turned OFF?

alldodge

Staff member
Key was Pump spooled amd resfinf was 50 psi

If this means and resting then the injectors were not leaking, which is good

Leave in neutral, and see if you see about 300 rpm's when cranking at not starting. If the tach does not come up when cranking then the ECM is not firing the plugs.

Another thing to check is with a NOID light. It would be placed across the contacts of the injectors and see if they flash when cranking

Also this would be done when its not starting

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
I could not figure out how to correct my post :)

the key was ON. The pump spooled. Pressure was a solid 50psi.

bobtylerjr

Seaman Apprentice
Reassembled with new pump assembly and fuel pressure regulator. Runs great on hose. Will sea trial tomorrow and update.

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for coming back with final comments. Happy boating