GM 14097324 / MC 824327

Opens : -7 BTC/41 BBC
Closes : 29 ABC/-8 ATC
Duration : 202/213
Opens : 22 BTC/70 BBC
Closes : 70 ABC/36 ATC
Duration : 272/286
Cam Lift : .269/.273
Gross Valve Lift : .403/.409 (w/ 1.6 rocker--- .430/.436)
Center Line C/L : 108/116
Rocker Arm Ratio : 1.5/1.5
Valve Lash Clearance : HYD/ROLLER

(Cross referenced from Mellings OE equipment guide)

ENGINE POWER COMPONENT EPC-4613E
GENERAL MOTORS 14097324
MERCURY MARINE 431-824327

Midway Marine

Recruit
My question to you is I bought a "new" long block within 45 miles of where i reside from one of the online dealers & installed it . It would not run/idle properly.The emc went into closed loop vs open looped while idling @approx. 1000rpm along with excessive smoke from the exhaust. If I unplugged the map sensor & it would run but rough while creating alarms I then contacted a local Volvo dealer who put his computer on & just started shaking his head with the alarms & smoke. His opinion was the wrong cam or reluctor wheel. He contacted his Volvo rep. & the rep. stated that they have seen this. We contacted the on line dealer who also stated the cam were the same & it was not a internal motor problem. I ended up pulling the complete engine & with the old block carried both to the dealer to compare the 2 items in ?. They with out my knowledge put the old cam in the "new" long block & it would idle while producing good power.but the top end was noisy @ the top end. I pulled a service manual from both Volvo & Mercruiser which showed different cams. The rockers are non adjustable on this style block & imo the push rods were sized wrong or the needed to be shimmed.

Midway Marine

Recruit
It is my opinion that Volvo sets there EMC, reluctor wheel & cam as a "proprietary setup that does not match up with Mercruiser with the MPI fuel rail. It is also my opinion that Volvo wants you to not go to a after market or competitor for parts. IE. Volvo does not sell rebuild kits for Some newer fuel pumps,power steering or trim cylinders etc. You must by complete new parts.$$ Yet there are vendors out there that will

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
volvo's whole EFI is different than Mercruiser, however the base engine is the same

they both have their own part numbers for the GM parts.

all post 1996 V6 and V8's have non-adjustable valvetrain

volvo buys the sub-sysetms complete, hence the reason they may not have parts break-downs for components. just like VW doesnt sell caliper parts (they get the parts from Audi) yet Audi does.

the will-fit vendors are a different story. your trying to compare apples to chicken eggs

regarding your smoking "new" long block. unless you bought the longblock from GM, you have a reman.

Midway Marine

Recruit
I then requested that the online dealer drive 45 miles to the my facility to take a boat ride & determine the reason for the noisy top end. They refused stating they had no one advailable. I did not feel it was my responsibility to diagnose the noise issue (warranty?) . I ended up unfortunately had an attorney request that they buy the long block back. By now I have a very unhappy customer & I"m out big bucks on this project. I also talked to one of the on line dealers in Michigan. They said they have never heard of this issue. Makes me nervous buying on line again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in most cases, the warranty only applies if installed by the retail facility that you bought the motor from (read your fine print)

its a 4.3. about $1500 to do a stock rebuild, a new crate motor from GMPP is about $2k

Midway Marine

Recruit
Noticed that I put the word new I put in " ". GM quit building gen4 cast iron long blocks in 2014. Where are these on line getting "new" long blocks? I the casting #s of the "new" block & will do more due diligence on that issue.