Very hard cold starting volvo 4.3 gl

Mattboater

Recruit
Hi all, I have a 2006 Volvo 4.3 GL in a 19 foot sea swirl bow rider. Sometimes I have the absolute most difficult time trying to get it started when cold. I have done a recent tune up. Fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires. When it’s running, it runs like a dream. Starts great hot. I’m wondering if it floods right out of the gates, without even touching the throttle. What might cause that? It’s getting fuel for sure, you can see nice squirts in the carb. I try to give a little pump and work the throttle in neutral. Open it right up after trying a bit when it’s already flooded. Lately i have tried without pumping too for fear of flooding. Won’t even fire with quick start when at this point. I have owned many carb outboards with nowhere near the issues I’m having now. Always fresh premium gas in it. Would carb need an overhaul if it is running so well once it’s started? What else might I look for? Oil pressure gauge works fine. Staring to wonder intermittent ignition/electrical problem? Or time for an FI motor, lol?

thanks

Maclin

Admiral
Welcome Aboard!

Have you checked the operation of the choke? Could need an adjustment. When engine is dead cold the choke flap should be closed after the first pump.

Mattboater

Recruit
It does appear that the choke flap closes. I’ve only ever seen it open once the engine is warm. It will open a little bit with full throttle though

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
How about your starting procedure? You are supposed to give it 2-3 full pumps forward and then set the fast idle by advancing the idle about 1/3. These marine carbs do not set a fast idle automatically, you have to manually advance the throttle. When the choke is mostly closed it needs a fast idle (1200-1500 rpm) to keep running.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
How about your starting procedure? You are supposed to give it 2-3 full pumps forward and then set the fast idle by advancing the idle about 1/3. These marine carbs do not set a fast idle automatically, you have to manually advance the throttle. When the choke is mostly closed it needs a fast idle (1200-1500 rpm) to keep running.

+1 on this. I used to have some trouble cold starting too on my 06 5.0GL. I know they're all different, but if I give mine 2 full throttle pumps, then set throttle at about 1/4-1/3 open, it fires right up nowadays.

Mattboater

Recruit
Generally I do just that. A couple pumps and advance the throttle about a 1/4 to 1/3. A lot of the time it works. If the boat has sat for a couple weeks it is very difficult. And if it doesn’t start right away I worry it floods instantly. Then I may proceed to try a couple more times full open throttle. Still no dice. Not even a small turn over. Just cranking. Yesterday let it sit for an hour. Quick crank and no throttle, nothing. 1/3 throttle nothing. First time it hasn’t started after letting it sit for a lengthy period. Maybe just really badly flooded. Frustrating though indeed. Just when I think I have a method down pat, it ain’t! A lot of times if used even the day before it will fire up without giving any pumps or throttle at all. I really don’t feel it should be this touchy.

Thanks guys

Maclin

Admiral
If you think it is flooded you need to open up the throttle full with no pumping, be ready to throttle back.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
pull the spark arrestor, open the choke and verify that you are getting fuel when you give it two pumps.

Mattboater

Recruit
Hi guys, thanks for the input.

the full throttle method doesn’t do anything while it’s in that state of not wanting to start.
even with a blast of starting fluid...

i have definitely peeked in the carb and both barrels are getting nice squirts of fuel too.

Any my chance of an intermittent spark at times. And what could cause that other than cap and rotor?

perhaps a relay could be temperamental?Moisture?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
One more thing, I‘m thinking this is a Holley carb, right? They have a vacuum operated piston that is supposed to pull the choke open a bit as the engine is cranking to give it enough air to run. If this gets gummed up or the choke itself is sticking, then it may appear flooded. When you try to cold start it next time, take the flame arrestor off and look to see if:
1) the choke closes all the way
2) it starts to open a bit when you crank the engine over to start.

Other than, its hard to say. I know some Holleys run rich at idle, I tried one on my engine (brand new 4160 that was calibrated for the V6) and it ran super rich. Could not get it right so I took it off and rebuilt my 30 year old Quadrajet and it runs much better than it did with the Holley.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
The "newer" boats should have no problem starting, even when cold. The newer elec ignition is quite powerful.. Is the carb clean? Pull a plug or two and see if they are fouled, over fueling / cranking and a closed choke will foul plugs very easily and do exactly what u are saying.. if they are powdered black - to much fuel in the mix.. id check plugs first..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your getting two good streams of fuel, then we can rule out accelerator pump. was that after it sat or was that after it was just running?

the issue starting when it sits for a few weeks could be the bowls are dry from evaporation or the power valve is blown and your leaking fuel when sitting. it would run rich with a blown power valve. however you wouldnt get fuel out the accelerator nozzle at first pump if the bowl was empty

could also be your anti-siphon valve isnt working and the fuel from the tank to the carb drained back. that would only cause a delay for the fuel to get to the carb taking about 10 seconds of cranking or so

a mis-adjusted choke would cause problems starting.

have you checked for spark?