Volvo Penta 270 prop issues

Junkinmike

Recruit
So I’ve been working on a 1974 glastron with aq130 and 270. I bought boat with no prop. I searched online and after days finally found one. I ordered prop, line cutter, thin plastic washer, locking tab washer, spacer and nose cone. Installed it and tested it several times at home in forward and reverse. Got it to the lake and 15 min into the ride it came off. All money lost. When we left dock I noticed that it didn’t seem to be going very fast. Never fast enough to plane out. Leaving major wake. So I stopped boat and put it in neutral. Had to be when it fell off? I talked with a guy this morning and he said all 270 outdrives use a threaded bolt down the center. The shaft on my boat is not threaded on the inside. Just the outside. Any help please before I lose another one

Attachments

• photo301346.jpg
    photo301346.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • photo301347.jpg
    photo301347.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo301348.jpg
    photo301348.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
The guy you talked to is wrong. Your outdrive is proof,
I would use red locktight on the threads.
Q. Did you bend the locking tabs into the nose cone slots?
Q. Was the tabbed washer catching on the splines when you installed it, if not it was in the wrong position.

My boat has the internal threaded shaft.

kenny nunez

Captain
If you are very careful the shaft can be threaded to 1/4” 20. I have done that before on some customer’s boats. The earlier style system is good as long as the tabs are bent as the previous post stated. Which rotation propeller did you have on the boat and what was the pitch and diameter ? When you ran the boat do you remember which RPM s the engine went to? I might be able to figure which propeller you need.