A little refresher on engine/bellhousing/outdrive alignment

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im about to yank my aq211a power house of a gm 305 out of my 23 ft centurion (MINI) cabin boat to rebuild the transom. Im using arjay(ceramic version of seacast) to pour the new stingers/engine mounts with the motor somewhat in place(slightly raised) to keep mounts as close to oem placement as possible.

the engine must come out for me to either pour or put new wood in the transom. That means alignment time.

the starboard side engine mount had already collapsed prior to my purchase of the boat so this is a fix it before running it set of repairs.

IIRC if my bellhousing alignment isnt screwed i can use feeler gauges or use a marked wedge and compare the alignment marks on eirher side of the bellhousing and they should be within 2mm of each other. Once that is set i torque it down and then move onto the engine mount adjustment. My starboard side will be near idental to oem, port side may be off a 1/4 inch or so as i didnt have a full Mount to work with but its close.

questions, is this the correct sequence?

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Outdrive is i believe a sp 290. I thought i had a 275 but i have hydraulic power tilt/trim

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the AQ series of motors can be aligned with a tape measure. the 3 points need to be within 1.5mm of each other

I used a plastic wedge (for windows and doors) and permanent marker the last time. the time prior was a cloths pin and before that was a screw driver before that was feeler gauges

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I plan on repacing the seals/bearint in bell housing. Ill put in a sealed bearing this time. Im planning on using a local bearing supply house to match up seals/bearings. Anything else i should plan on servicing/replacing while shes out?

dohcdelsol93

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the heads up. I thought the no grease sealed was an upgrade(like what the 290s got)

should the alignment on the vp be checked yearly?