2005 Volvo Penta 4.3 engine block drain plugs

krazykatz911

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When winterizing, one of the block drain plugs split. It is the one on the side of the block in front of the starter. Anyone have a part number for me to replace the whole plug/base? The base is what split. I have it out of the block. Just need to know what to order. Thank you
PS: They are brass drain plug/base with a socket head.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
The base is what split.

Ayuh,..... Toss the whole thing, 'n use a 1/4" brass pipe plug from yer local hardware store screwed directly into the block,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
for decades before VP and Merc added stuff to their drain systems to get fancy, they simply used a brass pipe plug in the factory tapped bosses.

however if you feel strongly about replacing the broken petcock, go to volvopentastore.com, look up your motor and look at the parts break down. going thru the iboats store takes you to the volvopenta store as well.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You're welcome. I have peruse these catalogs every so often to see what parts will cross over for my OMC since there are a number of parts you can't get for them. So my '88 OMC has a Volvo style center riser exhaust (original one piece V6 manifolds no longer available) and various hoses, and other small parts I got through V/P.

Put a bit of Permatex Aviation gasket sealer on those threads and they will come out easy when you want them too. They are so much better than the stupid plastic wing nuts Merc provides that break off IN the threads of the fitting!

Bondo

Staff member
They are so much better than the stupid plastic wing nuts Merc provides that break off IN the threads of the fitting!

Ayuh,..... I'm with ya on that Lou,......

'bout everything done by Merc, beyond plain ole brass pipe plugs directly screwed in the castin's,......
Has been a dismal Failure,.....

krazykatz911

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I really like Volvo Penta. Just a bit more pricey, but I think the quality is much better, 2005 Stingray 195LS with the 4.3 Carb. Been very reliable and fun.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ayuh,..... I'm with ya on that Lou,......

'bout everything done by Merc, beyond plain ole brass pipe plugs directly screwed in the castin's,......
Has been a dismal Failure,.....

I can't believe the amount of time and engineering work that went into those silly single point drain systems with all the extra hoses etc, when all you really need, is a simple heat exchanger to eliminate the whole issue of running inboards in cooler weather...if you wanted to you could actually use one of those winterizing tanks, powered with a bilge pump or similar and not have to drain a dern thing. That and a remote oil filter, makes an I/O something I could possibly tolerate in the future, unless the pull to the dark side becomes too strong (outboards).