Volvo Penta SX Cobra trim pump need help I am stuck. also was OMC trim pump

ron3033

Seaman
Hi I posted in VP & OMC as this is kind of a combination.

Part number 3854397 lift pump seal kit for the valve body. It typically has 14 O rings and a filter. The pump is round and has no reservoir pump tank below (see my photos. They show pump, diagram of pump, and my 1995 Four Winns 200 Horizon in mint shape)

https://www.iboats.com/ideabook/ron3033-photos

This style pump is used in many, many boats in my area. It seems kind of crazy that for the sake of a few worn O rings one must buy a new $800 pump plus new retrofit hydraulic lines and labor.

This part is used in OMC and Volvo Penta same #3854397 for kit.

My outdrive sags down about 2 to 3 inches in about 4 days. I do not know whether it is the lift pistons or the pump? AND I do not know how to determine which is ths issue?? Suggestions How to Determine?? (no external leaks that I can see on pistons, or at pump.. mind you it is hard to get even near it..yikes.)

The colored O ring set in photos are the new improved bidirectional kit for the lift pistons, for your info.

Any one know where to get the kit and how to tell if my pump or pistons are the issue.

Thank you any suggestions appreciated

dlk4602

Cadet
I had the same pump. My drive was slowly dropping and I replaced the pump with a Sierra 18-6806 pump. I reused the relay/circuit breaker assembly from the old pump. I had to make a mounting bracket to mount the new pump. The existing trim hoses connected the new pump without any modification.