'96 Ford 302 Volvo/Penta w/ Power Steering - New Belts?

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
I've been to numerous sites (volvopentastore.com / marinepartsource.com) as I want to put 3 new belts on the motor - just so I know they are new - they seem ok but just aged. I've located below for raw water pump and alternator that I think is correct. However I'm hitting a dead end for the power steering belt? Do I just need to remove the belts and get the numbers off of them? I'm not even sure if the below belt set is quality. Engine code is 50FIPNCSCE [h=1]Pleasurecraft Drive Belt Set RP066001/8[/h]

kenny nunez

Captain
Take the 3 belts to a NAPA or other large auto store and get them matched up then you will have the replacement numbers.

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
Take the 3 belts to a NAPA or other large auto store and get them matched up then you will have the replacement numbers.

Thanks - that's for the input - I didn't want to take them off just to find out what I needed if there was something to assist in predetermining. They are fairly easy to remove.....

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice

Got the numbers off the belts without removing so all good. Next question if you don't mind, do I have to remove one of the pulleys in the center or bottom that run everything to actually replace water pump and power steering belts? Alternator is the only one I can take off and put back on just from loosening it. Sure seems like I will have to.

Attachments

• photo300787.jpg
    photo300787.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you do NOT remove the crank pulley

loosen the alternator to take the alternator belt off, loosen the raw water pump to take that belt off, loosen the power steering pump to take that belt off.

while the belts are off, service your raw water pump

then install power steering belt and tighten pump, install raw water pump belt and tighten pump, install alternator belt and tighten

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
you do NOT remove the crank pulley

loosen the alternator to take the alternator belt off, loosen the raw water pump to take that belt off, loosen the power steering pump to take that belt off.

while the belts are off, service your raw water pump

then install power steering belt and tighten pump, install raw water pump belt and tighten pump, install alternator belt and tighten

Thanks - appreciate it. I guess the two larger pulleys in the middle seem right on top of each other and looked like I'd have to force the power steering and and water pump belt between them to get them on but maybe they aren't as close as what it appeared at first glance. Didn't want to damage the belts trying to get them on. Thanks for the tip on servicing water pump!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
No, look at it again and follow Scotts advice. There is no need to remove pullys

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
No, look at it again and follow Scotts advice. There is no need to remove pullys

Guys, I looked at the two larger pulleys and they almost right on top of each other - I have no idea how I'm going to get the PS and WP belt through the gap - maybe a piece of cardboard can fit between the gap.....I trust you all and if I just need to force the belts somehow I will.......gap is maybe 1/8"....

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
If there's not enough space between the crank pulley and the upper water pump pulley to install the inner two belts, then remove the upper water pump pulley (the four bolts shown in the picture).

rideus2003

Seaman Apprentice
If there's not enough space between the crank pulley and the upper water pump pulley to install the inner two belts, then remove the upper water pump pulley (the four bolts shown in the picture).

Thanks Rich - just needed a nudge to do that before I tried.