Outdrive ID

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just purchased a true "barn find". A 1966 Silverline that was last registered in CA in 1978 and looks like a new boat. It has a Chrysler Marine 150hp 6 cylinder mated to a Volvo Penta outdrive. I am only familiar with Mercruisers and no nothing about Volvo Penta units.
There are no markings/numbers on the outdrive that I can find. Can anyone ID this from the photos I've attached or tell me where I can locate any numbers on the outdrive?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo300371.jpg
    photo300371.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo300372.jpg
    photo300372.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo300373.jpg
    photo300373.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a chrysler drive (which morphed to the VP 250) coupled to the chrysler motor.

good luck on parts most are NLA

kenny nunez

Captain
The engine is probably a slant 6 Chrysler. As Scott said marine parts for the engine are almost non existent. However the Volvo drive should be no problem to get parts for. Volvo still sells parts for the 1st stern drive they built. Replacing the engine with a V6-V8 is easy so if the hull is still solid go for it. I remember working on some Silverline hulls and I thought they were good boats.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ouch! Everything fired up and ran well. Here's hoping I don't need any parts that may not be interchangeable with the VP250?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
hopefully you replaced the raw water pump prior to attempting to start it.

good luck, not all the parts interchange. Chrysler has been out of the marine market for decades.

if needed a later model V8 and VP 290DP would bolt in with minimal work.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
Outdrive Tag.jpg I found a tag on the upper outdrive. it is a Volvo Penta with the letters PZNRB then a s/n 216519.

Last edited:

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
After the s/n there is a "C" stamped into the tag. The "B" before the s/n is also stamped.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
The engine is probably a slant 6 Chrysler. As Scott said marine parts for the engine are almost non existent. However the Volvo drive should be no problem to get parts for. Volvo still sells parts for the 1st stern drive they built. Replacing the engine with a V6-V8 is easy so if the hull is still solid go for it. I remember working on some Silverline hulls and I thought they were good boats.

I'm sure it is. I had a 225 slant 6 in my first car, a 65 Plymouth Belvedere.

kenny nunez

Captain
The sea water pump should not be a problem to find impellers, it is probably a Sherwood which was used on most of the combinations like you have. You may have a Prestolite style distributor, if so Petronics may have an electronics conversion kit. Items like the manifold and thermostat housing may be hard to find. The carburetor is probably a Carter 1 barrel. A marine repair kit might also be a challenge. It looks like an auto version but the power valve is marine specific, an auto version will not perform right.
If you ever remove the distributor be real careful re installing it because the plastic gear will break if it is not inserted properly.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
The sea water pump should not be a problem to find impellers, it is probably a Sherwood which was used on most of the combinations like you have. You may have a Prestolite style distributor, if so Petronics may have an electronics conversion kit. Items like the manifold and thermostat housing may be hard to find. The carburetor is probably a Carter 1 barrel. A marine repair kit might also be a challenge. It looks like an auto version but the power valve is marine specific, an auto version will not perform right.
If you ever remove the distributor be real careful re installing it because the plastic gear will break if it is not inserted properly.

Thanks. The engine is in very good condition, no rust or corrosion, and paint looks like new. My issue now is trying to identify components like the sea water pump, so I'm hoping to locate a manual or some diagram.