Anodes for the Dual Prop DP-SM drive?

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I purchased a boat with the Duoprop DP-SM drive and noticed that it only has 1 or 2 anodes. No anodes on the trim ram ends. I tried to Google and I see no trim ram end anodes seem to exist. I boat in salt water and have always had anodes there, and in other places. This drive seems to not have many anodes.

Anyone know if a different drive has compatible anodes for the trim rams?

Attachments

• photo300268.jpg
    photo300268.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0

Thalasso

Commander
Apparently your used to having a Merc which has anodes on the end of the ram

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Apparently your used to having a Merc which has anodes on the end of the ram
I am. So Volvo's don't have anodes in these locations? Does the engine hold up well in salt? I typically paint my outdrives yearly.

Thalasso

Commander
I am. So Volvo's don't have anodes in these locations? Does the engine hold up well in salt? I typically paint my outdrives yearly.

Volvo's don't have anodes on trim rams.
They will hold up as well as any other with normal maintenance. The Volvo engines are the same as mercs. (Partial) but think the Volvo drives are way better then mercs

xanthras

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi there, I just got a Volvo DP myself and was looking into this. There are anodes, just not on the trim rams (those are just plastic caps by design). There is a semicircular plate looking one in the front of one of the fins held on by two bolts, a square one way under near the transom plate. And if your drive is newer, I think there is another one that is on the fin. I can get you some links or pictures if you are still looking for info.

As for salt water, mine came from salt water, and I would recommend new anodes, and regular antifouling paint. The aluminum will eventually get pitted (like mine) if you don't take care if it annually. Salt made a mess of mine and took a lot of work to clean up.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi there, I just got a Volvo DP myself and was looking into this. There are anodes, just not on the trim rams (those are just plastic caps by design). There is a semicircular plate looking one in the front of one of the fins held on by two bolts, a square one way under near the transom plate. And if your drive is newer, I think there is another one that is on the fin. I can get you some links or pictures if you are still looking for info.

As for salt water, mine came from salt water, and I would recommend new anodes, and regular antifouling paint. The aluminum will eventually get pitted (like mine) if you don't take care if it annually. Salt made a mess of mine and took a lot of work to clean up.

Thanks for the tips. I put my drive model in and see the 2 that pop up. Guess I'm just used to more anodes with the Mercruiser engines and anodes on the and of the trim rams seems like a good idea since they get eaten away and they seem to help keep the growth at bay in that area of the trim rams. Guess i'll have to keep a look out next season and keep them clean if I see anything funky growing there.

It's going to hurt to paint the outdrive, but its mandatory in the salt water so next year I will be painting it, and changing the 2 anodes that are present.