Prop looses power as you increase throttle.

ThePirate12

Cadet
I have a Volvo Penta AQ275 outdrive powered by a Volvo Penta AQ225E motor. I was cruising on plane and all of a sudden the engine RPM went up due to the outdrive not propelling. Shifted to Neutral and then to Reverse to test. Reverse is good. Shifted to Forward and at idle the outdrive engages and we move at idle. I slowly increase throttle and at a certain point it looses power to prop. Any thoughts that would help determine root cause. Thanks.

ThePirate12

Cadet
Thank you. With your suggestion I performed the marker line test and verified. Ordered a new prop from iboats. [h=1]Solas Amita 14.25" x 19" pitch Standard Rotation 4 Blade Aluminum Boat Propeller[/h] Hope it fits. I went with the 4 blade to get up on plane quicker as I usually have a loaded boat. The OEM are just too expensive but I may have to go that route if it doesn't work. Thank you again.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That's a fair sized boat in your signature. Thinking the same prop as you ordered but in a 17 would be good.

ThePirate12

Cadet
The current one is 14 so I figured to order about the same. What is the limit on a AQ275? Will a bigger one fit?

Maclin

Admiral
A good prop shop can re-hub that prop. The Volvo Penta props are well designed, especially for your drive.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The current one is 14 so I figured to order about the same. What is the limit on a AQ275? Will a bigger one fit?

You ordered a 19" pitch prop in 14 inch diameter. What I was saying was order a 17" prop in 14 inch diameter. Its the pitch of the prop that determines your RPMs , hole shot and speed for the most part