2006 SX-A, grumble around 2k-2.5k RPM

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
And I am back. Had the boat out on the weekend and it appears (what I assume is the outdrive) has developed a grumble around 2000-2500 RPM. At lower RPMs it is quiet once I get on plain around 2800-3000 RPM it sounds fine. It's _just_ in the 2000-2500 RPM range.

I was thinking maybe u joints but I would assume they would be loud at any RPM. It doesn't seem to be worsse when the drive is turned, likewise it still makes the noise when perfectly straight so I think that rules out gimbal.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance all!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You check alignment annually when you take the drive off?

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think alignment was checked last fall when I had it serviced. I can check the receipt though.

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Checked the receipt and it doesn't mention pulling the outdrive or anything about alignment, so I guess the alignment was not checked.

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Update. Had some time today to get it started in the drive. Ran it up to 3000 RPM in neutral with the prop off, drive left/right, up/down, no noise. Same in forward. Same in reverse. The two possibilities I see are

1) The issue is only prevalent when there is pressure on the drive in the water, spinning a prop.

2) It was our first run with this re-manufactured prop that came with the boat. Perhaps the prop geometry is not quite right and it starts to cavitate/vibrate/other at a certain speed/rpm. I've put our old prop on (with a slightly bent fin tip) to see if the issue magically goes away next outing.