Volvo Penta 4.3GL cranks but wont start

shenderson174

Recruit
Volva Penta 4.3GL PEFS, engine turns but doesn't start. Have spark from ignition coil but no spark to plug. I've read about a kill switch but cannot locate one by the steering column or throttle. Would I get spark from the coil if it was a kill switch?

alldodge

Staff member
Have spark from ignition coil but no spark to plug.

Its not the kill switch

Having at the coil and not the plugs, then its inside the distributor cap, either cap or rotor. Take the cap off and see if the rotor is turning when the motor cranks. Also look for damage and corrosion

Maclin

Admiral
Has it run ok for you before this? If so, what was the last thing done to it?

shenderson174

Recruit
Rotor turns but was very worn. I replaced rotor and distributor cap but still no spark to plugs. When I first started working on the engine, the starter would not turn over so I changed it out along with the belts. I have spark from the plug wire running from the ignition coil to the center of the the distributor. Could it be the coil in the distributor? see photo below.

Attachments

• photo300051.jpg
    photo300051.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6

shenderson174

Recruit
I've changed the starter out twice before and the trim motor once. I've never had a starting issue outside of the starter going out.

Maclin

Admiral
As already mentioned, you have spark at the coil tower, so ignition is working ok as to modules, reluctors, etc.

Spark from the coil tower hits the middle of the rotor from the distributor cap center terminal. Are the cap and rotor the correct parts? Are you sure the rotor is installed correctly? Does the distributor cap inside center terminal have the spring loaded graphite ball intact? The components may not be as I am describing, but there has to be continuity from the coil wire into the distributor cap, into the rotor and out to the spark plug terminals on the cap. If the parts are not correct then they may have been damaged when installed.

shenderson174

Recruit
The center connector of the distributor cap is spring loaded and touches the rotor. I'll do a continuity check from coil connector to spark plug connector when the rotor is touching one of the contacts.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The center connector of the distributor cap is spring loaded and touches the rotor. I'll do a continuity check from coil connector to spark plug connector when the rotor is touching one of the contacts.
The rotor never touches the contacts inside the cap.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
How are you checking for spark?
I use a timing light that gets power from the battery and clamps onto plug wire.
Two things come to mind.
1. We bought a tune up kit for a car once and the rotor was too short. Worked for a couple of day then died, put the old rotor back in and car ran good.
2. Distributor cap could be bad, I know you posted it is new, but if the center high voltage wire from coil is good, and showing spark current, maybe the 'spark' is going to ground inside dist. cap.

bobstoy

Cadet
Pull a plug wire off. Put a screwdriver in the end of wire and hold it close to the plug. Crank and you should see it arc. Make sure you have the correct rotor. The center pole inside distributor cap must stick out of plastic cap so it can touch rotor. Have you pulled any spark plugs to make sure they are not so fouled they wont fire ?