volvo penta 5.7 starter problem

James MacIvor

Recruit
I have a problem starting a volvo penta 5.7 gxi.
The battery is fully charged.But my stock volvo penta starter sounded like it was spinning very fast but not engaging the flywheel at all.
Who can explain this phenomenon?
Is it time to replace a new volvo penta starter ?
Thank you

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Have ya checked to see whether the starter bolts are still tight,..??

Sounds like either the starter is loose, or more likely the starter bendix has failed,.....

No reason to buy a Volvo branded starter, ya just need a Marine rated Chevy starter,.....

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Depending on room or lack of, taking off your riser and manifold helps get down to it.. make sure u have new gaskets on hand for the riser and manifold...

kenny nunez

Captain
There is a good chance that the shaft of the starter is rusted and not letting the starter drive gear slide to engage the flywheel. If that is the case you could sand the shaft and grease it. The drive is easy to change and is a automotive item, just be sure that you get a new one and not a rebuilt from one of the big box auto stores.
I will attempt to bore you with a bit of starter history trivia that I learned in trade school.
While the term “Bendix” is a generic term to describe the starter gear it is really a Dyer drive any time a solenoid or some other magnetic device with a shift lever engages the drive. The original Bendix drives were used on the Ford flat head and later Fords until 1964 and on early style Mercruiser 470 engines with Prestolite starters until the Delco starter replaced them.
Starters with the Bendix drive are prone to disengage before the engine starts in what is called a “false start” and are hard on the flywheel gears. They are engaged by the inertia of the armature to spin the gear out which causes the gears to crash together.

Maclin

Admiral
Look for a local automotive electrical shop that rebuilds starters and alternators an such, they can get it back to new and you know it will fit. Most of what wears out is not specific to Marine starters, plus they will know Marine, so if you take in a Marine starter it will come out as a good as new Marine starter for a lot less than a new one.

David Gutierrez

Recruit
You should not blindly think whether to get a new vovol penta starter or not, but after careful thought, and action.
Just like kenny nunez said.Is that possible the shaft of the starter is rusted and not letting the starter drive gear slide to engage the flywheel ? Check it or have someone test it.
If your original starter is defected indeed,you could vivist Hexautoparts to get a new starter for your boat.