Can I use my boat YEAR ROUND?

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
What if I put it away for the year and then decide I want to go for a boat ride in the fall or even fish out of it in the fall or winter? Would I just need to drain block/manifolds/raw pump (and what else?) after each outing?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
AS long as you may face freezing temps, yes you must drain it. Pulling out those drain plugs when its 35* out will last one time before you say this is not worth it! This is why so many prefer outboard. You tilt it down, it drains itself.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
to answer your question. yes.

as long as its open water.

I have been boating as late as December in WI and as early as February (ice out) with my old Avanti

just pull the drains when your done boating.

I had installed wing-nut drains on that boat for ease of draining

https://www.mcmaster.com/#petcocks/=1edsw7m

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys, if a normal winterization involves pulling the raw water pump hoses and other hoses (which ones???), then would this also be necessary after each outing in colder weather? Or is JUST draining the plugs on the back of the exhaust manifolds and the lower block sufficient???

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks guys, if a normal winterization involves pulling the raw water pump hoses and other hoses (which ones???), then would this also be necessary after each outing in colder weather? Or is JUST draining the plugs on the back of the exhaust manifolds and the lower block sufficient???

Ayuh,.... You have to remove All of the water whenever there's the threat of freezin' temps, Period,......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have to pull the hoses. The big one between the waterpump and thermostat housing and the one after the power steering cooler that brings water from the drive/pickup

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
well my t-stat housing has 4 hoses entering it; I gues I'd have to pull all of them...hopefully I can pull just at one end?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
bottom end of big hose
hose that feeds impeller if a Volvo
hose that feeds thermo housing from transom if an Alpha or Cobra

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
my raw pump has 2 hoses, one is the intake and the other goes to therm housing I think