1994 Volvo Penta SX w/Ford 302 - Trim tilt & Trim question

yoster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello. I just bought a 1994 Wellcraft Eclipse 196s. Motor and outdrive seem in good condition, however the hydraulic tilt in trim system slowly leaks down as you drive around the lake. One shop is giving me the 'doomsday news' saying it could be leaky lines, a leaky metering system, etc and $2000+ to fix (needless to say that's making me sick to my stomach. I paid above bluebook (7k) for this boat because it was in such good condition. You can eat off the motor and the bilge area. So REALLY hoping I don't have to now sink 2k into it!

Another mechanic is telling me a different story - saying it's very likely just the check-valve in the pump motor and that it's a pretty low labor-cost to swap it out given it's easily accessible. He's also happy to install parts that I supply.

So two questions.

1) I'm seeing two styles of the pump motor for the Volvo Penta SX.
One has a refillable fluid reservoir like this: https://www.amazon.com/MOTOR-VOLVO-DRIVES-COURSE-THREAD/dp/B013TCE9QQ

One does not (THIS IS THE STYLE CURRENTLY ON IT): https://www.dbelectrical.com/produc...MIvKn0mJGQ3QIVjcBkCh3UTAdiEAQYAyABEgK-RvD_BwE

I'd like to 'convert' to the newer version with the more easily refillable reservoir. They all say "2001 and newer however" (because of 'coarse threads' or something?) Does anyone know of a tilt/trim that can be retrofitted to my 1994 that has this reservoir?

2) Are the pumps from this "DB Electrical" company good? The volvo version is WAY more expensive. I can swap this DB version out (and pay labor) like 2-3x for the cost of a single volvo unit.

Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

kenny nunez

Captain
I would go with the version that you already have. The only other problem you may have is a hydraulic ram with that could have an internal leak by-passing the internal seal.