steering problem

awarner85

Recruit
I'm having a problem with the power steering on a 2000 volvo penta 4.3 GL. when i put fluid in it, as soon as i start it the fluid is gone. dont know where its leaking but no problems with over heating but has hard steering. this is my first boat so want to try and fix it myself. any advice?

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
If it's not leaking at the steering actuator into the bilge, then it's leaking at the power steering cooler, into the raw water cooling flow. Find a schematic of your cooling system and you'll find it either upstream or downstream of the raw water pump.

You'll fry the pump if you run it without fluid.

awarner85

Recruit
when i see the fluid in the bottom of the boat it looks like chocolate milk. so dont know if its mixing with water before it leaks

Bondo

Staff member
when i see the fluid in the bottom of the boat it looks like chocolate milk. so dont know if its mixing with water before it leaks

Ayuh,.....Welcome Aboard,..... With a Gusher like that, it shouldn't be all that hard to find,.....

Mirror, 'n flashlight help, a digital camera will put yer eyes, where yer head won't fit,.....

rvah

Cadet
FWIW, I just has the same problem. PS fluid would empty in a couple of seconds after engine start. The hose from the PS cooler to the actuator blew a hole. Located right behind the engine hardness plug,