WOT question

rvah

Cadet
new to the forum and just getting back into boating after selling the last one 25 years ago..
So I recently bought a 2000 Larson lxi with 4.3 gl. Bought mainly for skiing, and took it out yesterday first time. Great hole shot, and gets up to 40+mph at 3400 wot. engine specs say 4200-4600. Is there any harm in not getting to 4200 ?
Has enough speed for anything I want to do. I have read the sticky on to look for if wot is low but it doesn't clarify if it needs to meet minimum. Prop that came with boat is SS 14.25 x 21. Has new fuel 89 octane, engine sounds fine.

Any thoughts comments ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, lugging the motor is literally killing your motor

however make sure your motor is running on all 6 cylinders. did you do a compression test?

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, if your tach is accurate then your logging the motor. Suggest comparing with another tachometer, I'm thinking its a bit off, or someone has replaced the drive

Don't need 89 octane, 87 is enough but won't hurt anything except maybe your wallet

rvah

Cadet
Thanks for the responses. I'll check the accuracy of the tach next time out as that's easier, then do a compression check if need be. Serial numbers on the drive unit match numbers in the engine compartment, so I'm thinking it has not been changed.. 89 octane is what manual recommends and was the first ethanol free gas I could find when I went to gas it up. Good to know I can save a few $$.

Lots of good info on here from reading old post.

Last edited:

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
IS 87 octane acceptable when putting the motor under load in the middle of summer? I too want to save some money on gas but been using 91 octane "just in case". I do not know if the 4.3GL has a knock sensor?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't have a GL manual but the GI, GXI states

USE ONLY UNLEADED FUEL. Use lead-free gasoline
with the following minimum or higher octane specification:

Inside the U.S.: (R+M)/2 (AKI) – 87

Outside the U.S.: (RON) – 90

If fuels with 89 AKI pump posted (93 RON) octane
number or higher are used an increase in power can be
expected with EFI models.

Premium fuel contains injector cleaners and other
additives that protect the fuel system and provide optimum
performance. Volvo Penta suggests the use of 89
AKI or higher fuels.

NOTE! Engine damage resulting from the use of gasoline
with octane 86 AKI (89 RON) and lower is considered
misuse of the engine and will void the engine warranty.

rvah

Cadet
Well at least it was an easy fix. The selector switch on the back of the tach was set wrong. Would be nice if they were all this easy.

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
er, Selector Switch on tach? For what? 4 vs 8 cyl? Voltage?

Maclin

Admiral
I bet it was set for an 8 cylinder. If so, then for every 1 rpm on the gauge the engine actually turned 1.25 rpm.

rvah

Cadet
Yes selector switch for 4,6,or 8 cylinder. It was set for an 8, mine is 6. And yes on the 1 vs 1.25, at least it was close as the eye can tell.

I wonder if it's been wrong since boat was new.

Last edited: