changing oil without changing filter?

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat is new to me; I recently changed the oil & filter and used an "extended performance" Mobil-1 filter (M1-201 I think).

Filter is hard to get to so I was wondering about changing the oil yearly but if not very many hours are put on it, and if I am using synthetic oil and such a filter, if I could change the oil and leave the filter alone for a season or two? I suspect this may be what was done before I owned the boat base on the condition of the oil vs. the apparent age of the filter that came off of it.

alldodge

Staff member
I wouldn't but its your boat. Suggest getting a remote oil filter adapter and installing it so its easier next time

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Boat motors run cooler than their on the road counterparts. This can lead to sludging up the motor and if filters aren't changed with the oil there is a chance of plugging the filter causing the by-pass to open and unfiltered oil is fed to the bearings and other parts.

I'll second installing a remote filter to make life easier and keeping the motor happy.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There are no shortcuts to maintenance. Suggest getting a remote filter lik AD mentioned

tpenfield

Staff member
You can do what you want, but I would not recommend it.

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I read a lot of negatives on the remote filters leaking and various issues...I think I will just do it the old fashioned way and deal with the pain that comes with reaching the filter in the stock location...with back seat out it is easy...just a pain to remove back seat for something so mundane as changing an oil filter.

Do you guys typically change oil in spring or fall?

SD2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I change my oil and filter along will all other maintenance at the end of every season...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
end of season right before winter layup

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
If anything you would be better off changing the filter rather than the oil but it is your choice. Myself I change both but have just changed the filter if in a hurry.