NEW Thermostat issue

ron3033

Seaman
I recently changed my t-stat, OEM in '04 was 150* stat. I used Indian Head Permatex gasket Shellac on the stat to housing sealing surface and then put in a new o-ring which probably also got some of the excess shellac on it which I figured would hold it in there better too.

I saw the permatex aviation sealer at the parts store but there were several kinds and I wasn't sure so I just went with the shellac since it is safer (no solvent fumes) and has worked for me for years on other applications. I also replaced the t-stat gasket and as Lou said, I bought several...a 2-pack of Sierra (with the gold brads) and a single OEM Volvo gasket. I went ahead and tried the sierra this time around and shellac'd it to the housing but DID NOT put any shellac on the intake manifold flange because I figured I did a good enough job of cleaning the sealing surface. However, upon a test run on the trailer, the gasket was sweating a tad bit until it warmed up..The Volvo gasket is more well made so I suspect it would have been fine to use without shellac. But the Volvo gasket has a smaller inside diameter and covered part of the intake manifold flange opening and I'm dealing with rust in the system so I wanted the best possible flow which is why I used the sierra gaskets which did not even cover the entire flange at all.

May I ask - how were you determining the temp for the numbers you gave? Did you use gauge only or IR? ALSO - what is the half-way point on your gauge? Mine is 120-220 so I "assume" the half-way is 170*?

Hello
I used the gauge in the dash....next time out I will IR read it. The issue was it ran about 152 ish for three trips same destination, same rpms....return on last trip it drops to 139 to 142 by gauge.
150 is straight up and down. next line 180 then 210

I used a bit of glycerin to help get O ring in around thermostat and nothing other than gasket on the two housing surfaces. I cleaned both surfaces with 275 paper.

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay is 210 the highest number? IS there a notch above 210 that isn't marked? I myself am trying to determine what ALL the notches represent on my boat's gauge because like you, I've experienced some abnormal cooling and have recently changed the stat. Thanks; I also plan to use IR and I am guessing I'll shoot it at the t-stat housing or intake manifold right by it to get the most accurate reading.

ron3033

Seaman
Hi
I will be doing some IR readings next outing My dash is one of those one piece units....you cannot replace a single gauge unit.
The marina where I got the part said similar to above and to see if bad ground strap on dash....I think ground to dash is in the big plug in plug.

I thought I would take readings these spots: any other places??
I will add photo of temperature places here >> https://www.iboats.com/ideabook/ron3033-photos
1. circulation water pump
2. gooseneck under thermostat
3. top half of thermostat housing
4. beside part 54, temp sender in top of centre head
5. dash gauge

ron3033

Seaman
I got some readings and took a photo. at same rpm (3000 3200) it was 138 - 140 Fahrenheit. It hit 150 when going slow after a run, so less water flow. but for the most part 3 runs held a steady 152, the 4th run 138 - 140. This run see my chart (though hard to write in windy chop) This is all on a brand new 160 thermostat.\
Any ideas why the sudden change (which was run after a 1 hour stop between run 3 and run 4)??
>>see temp chart and dash photo >>you will need to click enlarge button to see all chart data<< thanks.
https://www.iboats.com/ideabook/ron3033-photos

thank you
ron3033