Pertronix ignition with aq125a

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice
1984 volva penta aq125a with Bosch distributor 0-231-178-017.

Run fine with standard 3ohm 12v coil, points and condenser. Have also recently ensured timing belt is lined up correctly.

Ehen i I put in the Ignitor II 92842 with Flamethrower II 0.6ohm or previous coil I need to turn the distributor as far as I can counter clockwise before it will catch and run for a few seconds.

I double checked the the ground and power tests, ensured the black wire goes to the negative coil post and the red wire goes to the positive coil post. Have also ensure the gap is set correctly.

I wouldnt have expected to move the distributor at all to change the timing.

Has as anyone had a similar experience?

kenny nunez

Captain
You need to remove the distributor cap and turn the engine to #1 TDC, then you will be able to check if the distributor drive pulley is lined up with the other pulleys. It usually takes a few tries to get everything lined up.

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice
Yes I had ensured the router in the distributor was pointing to the #1 plug at TDC of the compression strike.

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did the exact same conversion on my 125B several years ago.
I had the same problem where the Ignitor module does not line. Since it is only a 4 cylinder it was impossible to set the timing as there was not enough adjustment room on the bracket.
I ended up extending the slot for adjustments and I got it to run fine.
It sounds like you can get it running at the end of the adjustment range but you need just a little bit more.

Try this and you should be able to get it to work.

kenny nunez

Captain
As the above post stated the relationship between the igniter signal and rotor position are too great, the term “out of phase” is what you are experiencing. Try what Alan said and you will get it to run. To make it a little easier I like to set the timing with the spark plugs out and the timing light connected to #1 and spin the engine with the starter. That way the centrifugal advance is not starting and you get a more accurate setting. This is also a way to get the dwell set on ignition points but the coil wire must be grounded.

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice
I contacted Pertronix and we verified it was the correct module then went through the installation steps, ground test, power test, troubleshooting steps. They deemed the module as faulty and will be sending out a replacement. It is a little disappointing as I initially express shipped the parts to get them in three days and now I need to wait another two weeks (hopefully); but I am still excited to upgrade to Pertronix.

Now, I need to figure out how to install the Flamethrower II vertically after figuring out why fuel is not being pulled from the tank :/

kenny nunez

Captain
Start by removing the suction tube out of the tank. Drain the fuel if it has been in the tank any length of time. It may have a small filter in the tube, remove it and leave it out. The anti siphoning valve should be looked at to be sure it is not stuck with debris. Try to get an outboard tank and hose connected directly to the fuel pump to check out the fuel pump after you get the ignition sorted out. Replace the fuel hoses.