Volvo Penta worm gear trim problem. Need help

Thecleaner19

Cadet
I have a Volvo 305 engine with the 280 outdrive.. the problem I'm having is with the trim . Whenever the prop is not under a load my trim works fine but as soon as I drive the boat or put the prop under a load the outdrive drops to lowest position and won't raise in less I bring engine to idle and take the load off the prop.. even out of the water me pushing down on the raised outdrive it loweres fairly easy... I replaced the electronic motor but having same problem..

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
From description, I think you are talking about an early 280 outdrive tilt mechanism. Is the elctric motor on the end of a shaft coming out on the transom plate on the inside of the boat? Does it have a ram/plunger that extends from the transom plate and pushes down on the suspension fork to raise the outdrive, on the outside? If so, It's not for trim and the outdrive probably doesn't have power trim.

Last edited:

Thecleaner19

Cadet
Tilt / trim ??? the worm gear that raises and lowers my outdrive. Won't stay in position under a load.

Thecleaner19

Cadet
The 280 outdrive. On my 21 ft Bayliner has a worm gear that raises and lowers the prop.. powered by a 12v motor.. it works when the prop is not under a load and I replaced the 12v motor... But if the .Prop is up and I put it in gear or put the prop under a load the outdrive falls to the lowest point.. ..

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In my previous post my description was incorrect. On the inside, there should be a black box on top of the shaft and the motor mounts lower on the housing.

If yours is as I described, do an advanced forum search "aq280 tilt" using my username in the v/p section. Follow the links too. It's a simple system and adjustable. It's not to be used under power. It only raises and lower the drive. It probably wouldn't hurt to go thru it. Also, download a free V/P fsm.

Thecleaner19

Cadet
Yes. It is as you describe. I still don't understand what you are suggesting for me to do
.. been searching but I have no clue what u are referring to that I should find .am new to this fourm and I appreciate your help.

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Captmello is correct, from your description the tilt is working correctly. You should be able to push the o/d down with resistance, if it's up. When its in gear and the o/d up, and apply power, it will be forced down onto the transom plate.

if you want more info on the subject. Below the Iboats banner at the top of the page is a search box. Next to it, hit advanced search, then hit forum search. Scroll down, enter aq280 tilt, in keywords, enter my user name in members block. Scroll down to sources hit the down arrow and scroll down to the volvo penta section and click on it. Now hit search. Threads should appear with those keywords. Theyre are links within that thread too.

Last edited:

kenny nunez

Captain
Everyone is correct on the tilt system. The description Volvo uses the tilt is for “beaching”. Also since it is possible to push the drive down by hand when tilted be sure to use the trailering bar as the drive could hit the ground when on the trailer bouncing on the road.

Thecleaner19

Cadet
Thanks all very much. . So it's just the system they have on my boat is only used for trailering and beaching.. was hoping I would be able to move the outdrive up when I put it in gear like any Merc with the hydrolics .. allot of shallow canals and areas I have been avoiding where I see other boats going through with there trim up under a load .. is there any way to hook up a Merc hydrolics system on this outdrive? Or any other tips? Could I tie the outdrive up to go through these areas or does the transom drop from something other than the force I put on the prop? Or should I avoid these areas all together and just enjoy the boat as it is..

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The resistance to push the drive down can be adjusted to be little stiffer, so it stays up at idle. With the outdrive being up, you should only apply no more power than idle speed. Having the drive up puts a lot of stress on the U joints, so you have to idle and not have the drive all the way up. You should get an outdrive support bracket like Kenny mentioned in his post for trailering. The tilt system has a clutch in it and won't hold the drive up while trailering, each bump in the road may cause the drive to come down. It looks like a musical triangle which goes between the outdrive and transom plate. Even Mercruiser drives will have similar U joint issues with the drive up.

Bondo

Staff member
Or should I avoid these areas all together and just enjoy the boat as it is..

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... While yer driveline could be up-dated to hyd. trim, 'n tilt,.....

It won't be easy, nor cheap,..... probably more than the boat is worth,.....

As for tyin' it up with a line,....
I'm guessin' you'll rip the cleats off the hull, at anymore than idle,.....

Ya probably oughta just Enjoy it, while ya think 'bout bigger, better, newer boats in yer future,.....

It's what Boaters do,.....