AQ125A camshaft

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice
1984 Volvo Penta aq125a

I believe the timing belt slipped, have removed it and am reinstalling it. I have found all the marks for the crankshaft, distributor and camshaft.

The problem i am I am running into is that the camshaft is not easily turning to allow me to align everything - I know the marks on the belt allow me to do this but it would be ever so easy to align the crankshaft mark if I could rotate the camshaft.

I do do not intended to force the camshaft to turn.

I have the boat scheduled to go into the shop Sep 5th and will have them remove, clean, reinstall and apply a corrosion resistant to these three pulleys.

I wanted to ask here if it is normal or if it is a sign of something for the camshaft to not be turntable by hand?

Thank you you for your interest so far!

Regards,
Harry

kenny nunez

Captain
It is normal for the camshaft to be hard because of the tension of the valve springs. When you bring the boat to the shop make sure to ask them if the bearing on the tensioner is not binding. If you try to run the engine with the belt not positioned on the respective sprockets it is possible to bend one of the valves.

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice
The aq125a is a non-interference engine.
I need to know if I should be able to turn the camshaft by hand.

kenny nunez

Captain
The way I used to lock the cam in position was to use 2 pair of vice grip pliers to lock the cam in position to properly install the belt. Quite often the belt would have to be re-set one tooth after the tensioner was released. One time a customer’s belt broke from a mud diver nest under the belt.

Dodgegeek08

Recruit
Not always, if the engine has low hours then it should be pretty hard to turn, how well does it turn using a 3/8 ratchet?

HarryReid

Seaman Apprentice
Found that I needed to use a rachet to turn it. Now I have the timing set - thanks!