Shift sx a with engine off?

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
QQ: Should I be able to shift a VP SX A drive into neutral from forward with the motor off?

Background: boat refused to shift into neutral while docking and killed the motor with it in gear. Took off the drive cover and the cable looked fine. Detached the cable and the shifter moves but the peice it connects to on the drive won’t move.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the shift linkage wont move at the drive, you have an issue.

the shift cable operates the shift arm, which in turn engages the cone clutches

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the response. Called a couple places today and they’re thinking it could be an issue with the cone clutch given I can’t shift at the drive with cable disconnected.

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Follow up. Just got backed from my "local" vovlo penta marine mechanic and it appears the shaft seal on the piston was pressed out causing the the pin to jam on the inside of the housing. He called someone associated with VP and they said there was an issue with these seals not being installed all the way on _some_ years. Failed to mention which years though.

It's fixed for the time being by lightly tapping the piston head with a mallet to unjam the pin and push the seal in a little further. The long term fix is to properly re-seat the seal when the drive is empty.

You can see the seal I am talking about here (part #9)

https://www.volvopentashop.com/epc/...dTransmissions/7746270/7746270_44/7746270_069

Hopefully this helps someone in the future