Average Estimate Repair Volvo Penta 4.3GL with SX cobra Drive

NASSAR

Cadet
Hello, im new in boating and bought my first used boat couple of days ago, the boat been stored and not used for more than 2 years and need some fixes, i took the boat to a repair shop to let the experts diagnose my boat and repair whats necessary.

since im new to this im affraid some shops might charge me more than usual and take advantage of my lack of experience, below i will list the estimate i got from the repair shop, please let me know if you think its fair price or not.

( ps, i live in southern california )

Boat: Four Winns Horizon RX 18'
Engine: Volvo Penta 4.3GL
Drive: SX Cobra

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove/replace existing carburetor to rebuilt $120

Rebuilt carburetor $250

Engine oil change $160

Remove/replace engine starter $190

New engine starter $235

Remove/replace distributor cap/rotor $85

New distributor cap/rotor kit $55

Remove/replace spark plugs $85

New spark plugs $4

Remove/replace existing thermostat housing to replace thermostat $120

New thermostat kit $30

Remove/replace existing raw water pump to replace impeller $180

New impeller kit $47

Remove/replace fuel filter $11

Remove/replace existing outdrive $390

Remove/replace shift cable $190

New shift cable kit $55

TOTAL: $2,207

i hope the experts would let me know if this is a fair price, and if not what is a fair price for all above.

thank you

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
What year is the boat, I just bought the same brand and model as you and it sat for 5yrs...I've been doing it all myself and I bet my boat is older than yours and we know it sat longer...I seriously doubt you need some of that stuff. Did you buy it with KNOWN issues?

On my horizon w/ 4.3 I've either done or am doing the following:

- new raw water pump impeller (didn't have to remove the whole pump on my boat)
- oil and filter change
- seafoam in gas tank/top off with fresh gas
- thermostat and o-ring & gasket
- grease gimbal bearing
- new fuel filter
- new cap & rotor
- replace lower unit gear oil
- top off power steering fluid & check trim fluid level

I also went over the trailer if you want to know what to check there?

Does this boat "really" need a rebuilt carb?
Does this boat "really" need the out-drive removed? No way for that price he is replacing the out-drive; he must mean replacing the u-joints and boot inside it?

Also, the factory plugs on mine were platinum and those are designed to last 100k miles in a car so in a boat they would last a LONG time...some of the labor cost seems high and some of the work you may not need. Find out what the shop's labor hourly rate is? 120 bux for removing a thermostat housing seems excessive; I am guessing he's charging you 1hr labor. Marine work might cost more but a range of 60-100 per hour seems more fair. I know in California everything costs more but that is an example of where it might be too high. But the more concerning thing is to be sure you actually need some of this work and that if you elect to do it, that he actually does 100% of what you are billed for!

Last edited:

NASSAR

Cadet
My boat year is 1997.

i have a bad carburetor so we decided to rebuilt instead of buying new one as buying new carburetor will cost more, regarding the outdrive, he is gonna remove the outdrive just so he can change the shifting cable. plus i have some issues with my starter and loose stud so we agreed to install a new one, the rest are his recommendations for the boat as part of maintenance.

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
In that case I think all the stuff he's telling you correctly for a 20+ year old boat. I'd add to his list to change lower unit oil, grease gimbal bearing if it has a grease zerk in 1997, and if the boat was used in salt water the you need to know if the exhaust manifolds & risers have ever been changed?

Has the boat been started or turned over since sitting for 2yrs yet? If not, then I'd ask him to spray liquid wrench or something into he cylinders while he has the plugs out so it will make sure the piston rings are nice and free when you turn the key.

The labor seems high but like I said, marine labor and California are not something I am used to; I am a new boat owner as of a month ago.