Clear coolant hose for manifold input?

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have heard of some folks using clear hose to debug flow problems.

My parts dealer says anyone using clear hose is just for temporary use.

[Q] Can you get a permanent 5/8in cooling hose in clear?

Your thoughts?

John

alldodge

Staff member
Your dealer is correct about clear hose.

You can get some clear hose but I would not use it long term. They also make some braided hose that is sort of clear which could be used for longer term, but still would not use it that long

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I would think that the inside of that clear hose would quickly cloud up from many different deposits from the sea or lake water.

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found problem. I had an old flapper stuck down in the Y-pipe on the stbd side. I looked at the seawater cooling input to the manifold, and that was clear. I bought a $36 wireless Endoscope that displays to my Android, and after opening up the elbow I could see the old flapper down in the Y-pipe. I have to get some heavier clothes hanger wire and try to dig the old flapper out of there. Will keep you posted. That Endoscope is great.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I would think it would be difficult to hook it with a coat hanger. You don't want it to fall further down. I found one all the way down in my outdrive while changing the impeller. Can you reach it with one of those automotive grabbers? The ones with a flexible spring type shaft and tiny grabbers on the end. I don't think you can use a magnet. Those things are probably stainless steel.

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I GOT THE BUGGER! Endoscope worked great. I was able to insert the scope in at my riser hose junction initially to verify if old flapper was down in ypipe without taking the elbow apart. I could see the new flapper and then went down from there to see the old flapper. I then took the whole elbow and new flapper out. Using the scope to guide me and a bendable steel rod, blue tip at home depot, I fished it out. Took about an hour of fishing before i got it out as flapper was jammed in a bit.

Endoscope to phone was only $36 and worth every penny.

My port riser is cool to the touch now, however my stbd seems to be hot now as i think port side is so clear system is not balanced, something maybe plugging stbd also.

I will check to stbd now to see if maybe old flapper might be down on that side too.

What pisses me off is the shop must not have even looked down the pipe to see if old flappers were down there when they installed my new risers and manis.

alldodge

Staff member
Good to hear, but just noticed this is the same issue as your other thread

harojs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Copy. I wanted to update this thread also. I'll go back to the hot riser thread now as primary and halt this one. Thanks all.