Starter does not even turn. Dead silence?

Escape 204

Recruit
I know the starter was working fine when I put it away this last fall. Battery is fully charged and electronics work throughout. I try to start it and nothing. Nothing at all! My kid later decided to tell me that he pulled the security kill switch. Not once but twice. Would this actually cause the starter not to turn if the switch is bad? I have never ever ran into a starter that was just dead and not turning over or making a clicking noise.

Escape 204

Recruit
This is a Volvo Penta 5.0 GL I was thinking about cutting the two wires that go to the switch and checking with my meter. The wires are actually a bit tight wanted to check with people here before going forward.

Maclin

Admiral
Do not cut any wires.

All the gauge work with the key on? Bilge pump works? Blower? Do you put it in throttle-only mode when trying to start? If not, is the Lever is straight up in neutral?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
start by cleaning every connection from the battery to the motor then up to the helm.

by clean, i mean shiny metal your kids can eat off of it clean.

Get a multimeter out and see if you are getting signal to the trigger wire at the starter, if not check the voltage on both sides of the kill switch and let us know what you find

Money Taker

Cadet
My 2011 H260 has the lanyard kill switch -- which seems to be tied to the computer somehow -- as well as the ignition/key. Mine is at the dealer being looked at right now

Escape 204

Recruit
Maclin, With the key turned on everything else works as far as blower, bilge pump, radio, and lights. I may need to crawl in deeper and start checking/cleaning connections. Just don't want to pull a starter if that isn't the issue. As soon as my kid told me he had pulled the kill switch I thought that has got to be the issue. Throttle lever is straight up in neutral.

Last edited:

kenny nunez

Captain
There is one thing that can happen to a starter. If you have the older style heavy version the field circuit when it goes out will cause the problem. If you have the PMGD style, then be sure that there is current through the boost and slave solenoid form the ignition switch and neutral switch in the control box. Most times the boost relay is the problem. A test light or volt meter will help to diagnose the problem.

Escape 204

Recruit
I didn't get much time to get back to it until just before dark. My throttle lever was not engaging before all of this and I thought I had figured that out. I thought about what Maclin had asked about the throttle lever being in neutral. I slowly worked it back and trying to fire it up. Guess what, it started right up! Now my problem is that my neutral is where my full reverse should be. I tried to upload a photo to this post but it was too large. To be very honest, I didn't even know that a neutral button in the middle of the throttle lever even existed. Sad, I know but it is what it is. In my defense when I explained it to my Dad it was news to him as well. So now I need to know how to get my lever back to normal. Any ideas? See profile picture

Last edited: